Monday 19 April 2010

Gig report: The Damsons @ The Portland

Band: The Damsons (acoustic, with Matt Corrall guesting on harmonica)
Venue: The Portland Arms, Cambridge
Date: 19/04/10
Audience: Sparse, polite, quiet
Set: Be True, Going Places, Goodnight Baby, Candy, In The Meantime, Million Day Dreams, Dark Outside
Notes: In what was probably my last gig for The Damsons (I left them in January, but have been helping out with a couple recent shows) we played the Portland in Cambridge which is a small, dark, but lovely little venue with limited air when there's a big crowd. That wasn't a problem for us tonight as there was barely anyone in the room, but those who did make it were nice enough and applauded loudly, which is always a bonus. I played full kit, which makes a nice change these days after my recent percussional activities, but without a bass player I felt very exposed so didn't let go like I wanted to - but all in all probably the best The Damsons have sounded for a good while, and Matt's bluesy playing just added a new dimension to the sound - although it was obvious he should have played a lot more than just the one track with us. From what I caught of the next act, Kyan Kuatois, he was superb (again), and I felt very guilty leaving before the headliners, a signed band called Lawson, played, especially as they let me use their drums and were so friendly about it too.

No comments: