Wednesday 20 April 2011

The slight frustration of ol' 'One Project Richards'

I'm trying to focus on just the one big project as a writer - I know it's the right thing to do, it has to be the right thing to do if I am ever going to move on from being somebody who has potential but never fully fulfills it. But there's just so much else I'm yearning to do...like write new material - I've got at least three new plays itching to blast out (plus the musical I need to write with Andrea Cockerton by September for Lodestar called 'Relationships, Eh?' and also the stage version of 'Awkward Christmas...' for December, obviously), and I've also penned the lyrics to a whole album's worth of material which I'm sourcing collaborators for - a dark, acoustic, beautiful album that will be called 'High Casualty Route' - if I really worked on it we could have that done before I turn 30 as I'm sure I know enough people who would be up for it. But no, stop it Paul, need to focus.

And it is the right thing to do - because our play, 'Is It Too Late To Save Oscar Pike?' is slowly, somewhat unpredictably, growing into something rather special. It was written as something I just needed to get off my chest, it was more for selfish little me more than anything. But things have moved quickly, from a first informal reading with Kev and Izzy, and then CB2 being booked up for a tiny little 'before I'm 30' performance with a little jaunt at the Edinburgh Fringe booked in just for our own amusement. Then suddenly Michelle agrees to direct and has taken it to a new level, with a set design and a real sense of proper professionalism, bringing in Kate to take the role of Tessa, and she's excellent (they all are). And then the little show at CB2 becomes a bigger event as it's for Teenage Cancer Trust and, within less than a week of going on sale both performances are getting dangerously close to selling out already, so we've tonight confirmed two nights at a bigger venue in Cambridge for the end of May/early June, and there will probably be more dates out of town after that I imagine. And now there's industry sniffing around it (even after I write this I have to quickly answer a load of questions for a Fringe website who want to cover the show), and press...this little play which I stressed about - but wouldn't have minded putting aside after one performance, it's all lovely madness. But it is a really good show - I've realised now it is the best thing I've ever written simply because it's the most honest piece I've done, so honest some of it might even be painful. And because Michelle does things properly - either we do this to the best it can possibly be, or we don't do it at all. It's all very exciting.

Playing the title role is both thrilling and terrifying me in litterally equal measures. I'm playing myself on stage, and there's some lovely moments there which I'm really proud of. But equally - it's a lot of words. I know I've said this before but seriously, this is a lot of words - big rambling monologues, all of which feels important to the piece. And there's no hiding place either - I'm on stage for pretty much the whole hour as the action and other characters move around me, there's a scene where I have to show geniuene emotion, there's a scene where I'm just in my underpants for about 5 minutes on stage in front of a full audience. Out of my comfort zone? Hell yeah. Out of my depth? I'm not sure I am, anymore - okay so Saturday's rehearsal was a bit tired, but it's going well. I am putting everything into this, and it does feel strange, my brain is used to being dragged around different projects, but having to focus on all this dialogue and then performing it naturally is probably my biggest challenge yet. People are helping me though - even people who aren't actually in it - this week on Monday I rehearsed my lines with Jessica, Tuesday with Dan (followed by a couple hours later on rehearsing just the monologues with Michelle), today Jessica again, tomorrow not sure, Friday Juliette, Saturday the full cast...I'm putting the hours in, not all the lines are going in just yet, but progress is being made I think. Would just like progress to be made a bit quicker, if possible please.

Currently reading: the script, over and over again
Currently listening to: Randy Newman - Songbook, Revere - Hey Selim
Currently watching: White Van Man, various football programmes
Currently eating: Jacket Potato with melted cheese and salami (try it! it works!)

No comments: