Monday 25 April 2011

Easter

I've enjoyed having a few days off from work for 4 days of Easter stuff, but there's been a couple instances this weekend where I've not really been at my best to be honest. Friday was great - visited Audley End, sat in the sun, and then off to Gamlingay for drinks with close friends. But instance of me not fulfilling potential number one: Saturday afternoon for the 'Oscar Pike...' rehearsals - those damn lines just aren't going in, despite my many learning sessions (three lunchtimes with Jessica, one with Dan, an evening working on monologues with Michelle and several hours just spent in the flat reading the script over and over again) - look, the show is getting a bit close, I should know these fucking words by now. Yes, I'm swearing because I'm angry with myself, I thought I had these nailed, clearly I don't, I can't not get this right - the rest of the team are outstanding, this could be brilliant. Saturday evening was great though - the gig with Jon was a proper good work out in front of a very nice audience in a friendly venue, was just what I needed. Got back late and then up early on Sunday to record two political hip-hop tracks written by my old chum from Siskin, Michelle Bessant, with producer Rob Toulson (who I work with constantly in various projects) and my chosen bassist for this one - the excellent Gav Sirsena from Dowsing For Sound. This was instance of me not fulfilling potential number two: I drummed terribly all day. I'd like to think there was an element of me not being a natural hip-hop drummer, but I'm supposed to be an experienced session musician, this one should have been a doddle. I'd like to think tiredness may have played a part in it. Or perhaps (which has been kindly suggested) it's just a case of my own standards being so high and I just expect the best every time. Either way, I just felt like it was taking a lifetime for me to nail those takes. We did in the end, of course, and it'll sound great - Michelle B's a brilliant songwriter, Rob's one of the best producers I've worked with, and Gav is such a natural musician, we couldn't really go wrong, and the drums sounded great. Eventually. But where has cheeky old 'one take Richards' gone? Hhhmmm. I need some time chill, calm down a bit. I've had that today, luckily enough, everything will be fine.

Currently watching: TV! After two years I've finally managed to get a signal in Shepreth! Hurrah! The digital switch over has worked out nicely for me.
Currently eating: Easter eggs, loads of them.
Currently reading: My own script (constantly), Dawn French - A Tiny Bit Marvelous
Currently listening to: Guillemots - Walk The River, Julian Velard - Mr Saturday Night

No comments: