Sunday 3 April 2011

Gig report: Trevor Jones @ The Corn Exchange, Bedford

Band: Trevor Jones (with full band)
Venue: The Corn Exchange, Bedford
Date: 02/04/11
Audience: Hundreds of them, seated
Set: Badman/All The Young Dudes (medley)
Notes: So, on paper rehearsing for three hours on a Thursday night, and then again on the day itself, all just for one song, may have seemed a little over the top. But no - because that's the professionalism of Trevor and his band. Saturday's show was the Regional Final of a national band competition. I don't like competitions, music isn't a competition, but Trevor needed a drummer and he's a good friend so it was something I didn't hesitate to help out with. I'm glad I did, because he's an excellent songwriter and his band are absolute top notch - Bill, Tony and Adam are some of the best musicians I've had the pleasure of working with recently. Got up early (after a late night in London before - the Flaming June gig followed by an old friend's 40th and then missing my train), rehearsed with Trevor and band in a nice little studio in Bedford, before registering at the venue, lunch, soundcheck and then gig. The gig itself was over an hour a half long, our set was three and a half minutes - Trevor's superb original tune, 'Bad Man', interspersed with a cover of 'All The Young Dudes'. Either side of our set there was bands - another 17 of them I think, all doing their best to impress the judges. We played well - tight, with energy, very clean, it was a pleasure. Of course we didn't go through to the next round - we're too old for starters, that was evident when looking around everybody else backstage. I didn't particularly mind in all honesty, the competition aspect of it was the only bit of the day I didn't enjoy. But otherwise I had a great day, it was a long day, but the banter was enjoyable, the music was good, and I spent many hours in the company of really nice people who I didn't know very well but fully plan to keep in touch with. It was also a beautiful venue, and a really big audience, which is also a bonus. Trevor has asked a couple times now if I'd be interested in being his drummer on a regular basis, I'm flattered yet knackered with all these things going on. I'll see what I can do.

No comments: