Wednesday 17 November 2010

Christmas stuff

It's been a while since I've updated this properly (apart from gig reports), the last time being when I was struggling to finish the Christmas script. That script, 'Santa, And The Unfortunate Allegations' is now done, and the first rehearsal at the weekend suggested it was a winner - Heather in particular seems to enjoy her returning character of Hitler Judy, and Kev revelled as Jesus. That felt like a tough one to write, but as always a couple late nights, aided by a tipple or two and the 'Best Christmas Album In The World' and it was easy enough. But like my previous Christmas shows, I really want it to be a double bill, so I'm now quickly bashing out an opening play, kind of like a support act. It'll be a lead role for Heather, simply because she's keen, very good and more to the point able to learn it quickly - she'll have about three weeks to nail it, once I've finished writing the thing. It's called '(Dawn Palmer Just Wants To Be) Loneley This Christmas' and I'm very pleased with the concept, just need to do the idea justice - and more to the point - find the time to do so. It's been a crazy few weeks, with much to be done still before I can relax a bit. The 'Awkward Christmas...' album is nearly there - Helen's now back from Thailand and is going to re-record the odd backing vocal before it's mixed, ideally it'll be completely sorted this week so I can get it to the distributor in time for a festive release, but things are cutting it a little tight. I never thought I'd say this, but Christmas is coming a little too early for my liking. Both Christmas shows need intensive rehearsals too before I'd be confident enough to start selling tickets for them.

In the meantime, the Under The Streetlamp debut album was released on Monday after a couple scary hitches in getting everything ready in time - which is remarkable I left things this late since we recorded it in February. It's out now, anyway. And also Ethan Ash - who I drum for, and have on my label, is currently iTunes 'single of the week' all this week, which is a totally amazing thing, that I have known about for a while, but very happy it's actually happened, will be interesting to see how this affects sales. I'm playing drums for him at the EP launch this Friday and it's a gig I've been looking forward to for a very long time, and the rehearsals were great. The Eureka Stockade album is done, back from mastering, and should be set up for a pre-order before the end of the week in time for it's preferred release date. The 'Awkward Christmas...' album still needs a bit of PR work, as well as actually finishing. This is a stressful week - but in a good way, I'm buzzing from it all, whilst completely knackered. If I get all the albums sent to the distrubtor, and finish the other Christmas show, and make good progress on the radio Christmas special (which will be broadcast on Cambridge City Radio at 3pm on Christmas Day...must make it good then) by the end of the week, the rest of the year will just be plain sailing. But since when was anything that simple?

No comments: