Monday 7 December 2009

Recording with Hodge

Spent the day somewhere in Norfolk recording, not entirely sure where I was to be honest - my trusty Sat Nav (also known as Patricia) got me to the right road, and then I got lost for about half an hour. After my initial frustration of not finding the place, I ended up at the Sickroom Studios which is, frankly, in a the middle of nowhere, down a very long farm track and with a handwritten sign to say that you've arrived at the studio. There's a reason though why so many great artists (notably The Broken Family Band) record there - it's an incredible studio. Old fashioned enough to have a vibe which modern, commercial studios just don't have, but with enough technology to produce an exceptionally good sound quality. And lots and lots of space, too, I felt I could really stretch out today. I recorded a track for Hodge, the bassist in The Damsons, who is a pretty nifty songwriter in his own right and his solo project is sounding really interesting. Our producer was Owen, who was in the legendary band Magoo (whom Hodge used to play for years and years ago) and a fairly intense, yet very friendly (apart from the stroppy cat which resides in the studio) time was had by all. Hodge is there for most of the week but my drum part is finally done, took about 12 takes, which is a lot for such a simple dance track, but I'm happy to report that it's been very worthwhile. When you come out of a studio session with leg ache you known you've worked hard, can't wait to hear the results.

No comments: