Sunday 6 December 2009

Fringe 2010

I've decided to take a show to the Edinburgh Fringe next year - it's probably no surprise to those around me because I've done it for the last four years and constantly tell everyone that it's the best place in world (which it is). I was having enormous doubts though, mostly financially - I run at a loss at the moment and need to stop that, and theatre productions cost thousands. But it's what I live for, and I vowed to myself coming back this year that if I had an idea that was good enough, that excited me, I would somehow make it happen. I've had the idea for a while now, and yesterday whilst chatting to a potential actor, it came to life just a little more, and tonight whilst at a frankly terrible local music event, I discussed it even further with a theatre veteran (not from a potential collaboration point of view, but mostly for feedback) and she quickly made me realise it's so incredibly different from what I normally do, yet also refreshing, and even political. I'm going to write it, somehow, over the next week or so even if I'm running about all over the place because next week is fucking busy. Then I'll think about casting - some of the casting depends on how well this Christmas show goes, I'm sure it'll turn out great but from what I've heard there's a lot going on that will alarm the best of playwrights, particularly those precious towards ones own words. We'll see. Either way, I'm in Norwich to record with Hodge in the morning, yet this new play idea is keeping me awake. That, and the excessive caffeine, of course.

No comments: