Wednesday 16 December 2009

The day after the dress rehearsal

We had the dress rehearsals for the Christmas show last night. In the last week or so things have changed rapidly with certain aspects of the production; Saturday's rehearsal for the first piece, 'Goldilocks & The Beanstalk' was a very tense affair, even I got angry and crunched my Red Bull can in frustration. The show itself has been taken to a different level, not a level which I've always been entirely comfortable with (I consider it to be written more of a darker/deadpan panto, instead it's a rip-roaring, all dancing affair) and I probably should have not been so vocal in my feelings. It doesn't really help that I'm in it, and although this is the third time in as many years that I've been on stage in one of my own productions, this is the first time I've been truly anxious and concerned about it. My confidence feels a little shattered after some harsh criticism from the director, it was probably warranted but I just felt the timing wasn't the best. All in all it's a stark reminder as to why I'm a playwright, not an actor. Apologies have been made from all concerned and last night's dress rehearsal was a little better, but the tension in the air really is not something I wanted for a jolly Christmas show. Still, it has all the hallmarks of being an audience favourite - there's a lot people will like about the elaborate performances on display. Hopefully. After that I sat in and watched the 'Fairytale Of Bar Hill' dress rehearsals and these guys have made my slightly rushed script look amazing. The atmosphere in the room was much happier, the team of Colin/Vaughan/Kevin/Heather is a team which should never be separated, why do I even think about working with other people when with this team I have gold dust? 'A Fairytale Of Bar Hill' is going to be great, I'm very proud, and wish we could take the Alex shows further now, there's still a chance, I just feel it deserves more of an audience outside of Cambridge. Maybe I can re-write the Alex plays, or write a new adventure, and tour it? This was supposed to be closure for the characters of Alex, Buddy and Laura, but my mind is changing rapidly because if something works this well, surely I'd be an idiot to stop it right now?

Either way, the show opens tomorrow in the tiny cellar of CB2 in Cambridge, it's on for 3 nights, 2 of the nights are complete sell-outs (with waiting lists for tickets), the other night (Saturday) is virtually there too. 2 very different shows, but despite the fact I'm aware the director for the first piece is watching my every move, I know it's going to be my creative highlight of the year.

No comments: