Monday 28 December 2009

Christmas

So that was Christmas 2009, the last Christmas of a decade in which I grew up (although I think most people of my generation did, considering it covered the ages 18-28), made a few mistakes, did a few good things, failed on numerous occasions to grow a beard, discovered who Paul Richards really is, and eventually even started to enjoy myself. I've still got a lot to learn, such as cooking in general (I've lived in this flat since March and I've still not used the cooker yet, as much as it makes a very good table - and besides, microwaves are basically cookers anyway), and working out a proper schedule for washing my clothes (I tend to wash like, everything, in one go and have loads of clean clothes, then forget and nearly run out so my only available top-half clothing is my Polyphonic Spree t-shirt, which has never been my favourite, then I wash everything again - and repeat the process, get a grip of the washing, Richards). I think the next decade is going to be wicked. But there's a few days left of this one, and this may not be the last post of the year, not sure, depends if I do anything over the next few days I guess.

I enjoyed Christmas. The childlike glimmer still exists inside me, that I discovered again - it's only glimmers these days, as much as some of my work colleagues may argue as I do go on a bit about the joys of the season. There was just one point on Christmas day when, after the dog had been walked and breakfast was finished, we were all opening presents. The floor of my parents' relatively small lounge was covered in wrapping paper, and general treats, and I looked around to see my mum, dad and sister all smiling, at the same time - no matter how much we mature during the year, Christmas is a lovely, lovely thing.

After seeing friends on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day as I've already mentioned was nice, and on Boxing Day, as per tradition, me and my dad went to watch Cambridge United play. We couldn't get seats this time as it was a local derby and we were a little late, but we were keen to see the game so stood - for the first time - in the 'rough bit' of the ground. It was actually, genuinely, depressing - just looking around at the 40/50/60-something old men who turn up by themselves to shout - before, during, after the game, as if going to watch United play is the only excuse they have to hear their own voices. I'm no snob, and I can swear with the best of them - but it was c-word this, c-word that - it actually felt rather dated, the type of thing you'd see in a football documentary about crowd thug-ism from the '80's. They spent the whole time slating every decision the referee made, and to be honest - even though I was supporting Cambridge United at the game, I thought the ref had a pretty good match, but he could have been the messiah and the idiots my dad and I were surrounded by would have doubted his every move. I don't want to be like that when I grow up. Cambridge lost by the way, 3-1. £17 fucking quid to stand in the cold with a clueless bunch of idiots slating another clueless bunch of idiots. We'll be back next year, though, it's tradition after all.

After a second Christmas dinner, this time with my girlfriends' welcoming family, I went out last night to watch the 'Off The Wall' comedy night at the Boathouse in Cambridge with a couple friends. I was there to see Tim Key - who won the equivalent to the Perrier award this year at the Edinburgh Fringe. It was a 4-comedian bill, but you can see why Key is being heralded worldwide - a confident, alternative slice of comic-poetry genius. It was all very inspiring, as much as the other acts on the bill didn't really do it for me at all, although Brian Damage the compare is always a treat.

And then I finally succumbed; after 4 days of solid relaxation, of drinking far too much, of eating even more, of losing to my dad at Pro Evolution Soccer 7 times out of 11 games, I decided enough was enough and it's time to crack on with things again - I'd vowed to give myself a week off from anything creative, but can you really stop creativity? No, is the answer, just in case it wasn't a rhetorical question. I was up till pretty late last night writing fairly detailed synopses' of 2 new theatre pieces, and also an action plan for 2010. 2010 is going to be exciting I think, I had big plans for 2009 and I achieved about half of them, I reckon next year I'll nail the lot. And that's including growing a beard.

No comments: