Monday 2 November 2009

Studio, plays and stuff

Is this the busiest I've ever been? Probably, actually. I'm enjoying it, I think, although I'd like to enjoy other things at some point (sleep, etc). Maybe at Christmas? Actually, no, that looks like it's just all going to go a bit crazy, next year though, I'll slow down just a little, just because I feel like I need to sometimes. The studio sessions have continued nicely, a couple weeks back I recorded with Bryan Shore which was a nice informal session, this weekend I was in the studio for the Eureka Stockade album sessions which were really successful. All drum parts for our forthcoming (and as yet, unnamed) album are now in the bag which is a good feeling - I worked very hard on Saturday, started recording at 9am and we were still there at 6pm. I had good fun though - the songs are good, I have enough room for creative expression yet equally if something isn't right I'm pointed in the right direction by whoever wrote it. In fact I'll go as far to say that these recordings probably have my best playing to date - I love recording at Half Ton Studios, I love the fact there wasn't any time restrictions, I love the fact I know these songs inside out so feel very comfortable with the whole process. Over the next few months all manner of guitar, bass, vocal, strings, piano, harmonica parts are being recorded for it so it'll be a while before it gets a release date (we reckon next April) but my work at least is done. Still looking to find time to record 'Clowns' but we've had all manner of delays with this, hopefully before the end of the year though this will be another one in the can for an early 2010 release. In the meantime I've done a couple things with the Damsons, an horrific radio Cambridgeshire gig and a very short, nothing of a show at the Portland Arms, there's a lot more to this band than we're showing to the public I feel, hopefully time will sort that. Now just working like crazy to try and get my Christmas cash-in band, The Snowmen some shows, it's been a lot trickier than I thought, this might go in my 'bad idea' pile soon, we'll see. In the meantime the endearing appeal of The Matt Corrall Band still confuses me a touch - I mean I'm really happy with the way it's been selling, but it's been selling really, really well judging by the chart positions, it's all rather lovely.

Saw one of my favourite bands play last week, The Wave Pictures, they're superb, just thought I'd mention that.

As a writer I'm starting to hit my stride again, if in a rushed kind of way. Last night my latest play, 'Sugar Sugar' premiered at the Larkum Studio (ADC Theatre) with WriteOn, I wasn't sure how it would go down to be honest - the more I analysed the script in my head beforehand the more I picked out it's flaws, one by one. Fortunately, the audience didn't bother to do that, not everyone liked it (as is always the way) but there was some lovely things said, particularly from the cast (who were excellent, I might add) to suggest this piece has legs for the future. Next up is the 2 Christmas shows, neither of which have been written yet - which considering it's November isn't a good thing at all. 'A Fairytale Of Bar Hill' is nearly done, the panto will follow shortly - I just need a couple nights in to write them, that's certainly not on the cards this week, frustratingly so.

Ah yes, and next Wednesday sees the launch of our new cabaret night, Jiggery Pokery Cabaret. I'm still stuck for comedians for other weeks, but at least the line-up for the first week is sorted - there will be comedy from Andy Higson (and whatever else me and Alan and write), live music from Trevor Jones and The Bomb Factory. All in all, looks like a cracker. Just need to make sure people turn up now, and that I can find enough acts for the rest of the run...

No comments: