Wednesday 4 November 2009

Christmas script

It's the 4th November and I'm really struggling with the Christmas script. It's the fucking 4th of November, this isn't good. I've written about half an hours worth of material for it so far but it just feels like a slightly overlong beginning from a play that needs to launch at some point into a great explosion of festivity. I think the very beginning of it is great, and I know how it ends and it will surprise people a bit. It's just the 40 mins or so of material in the middle which I'm really, really struggling with. I know the point I'm trying to make - there is a purpose, it is a love story after all with one or two twists. I know the characters really well, they're a joy to write for. It isn't working. It would work if I put Santa Claus in there and went down the surreal route of last-years show (which talked of injured reindeers who had trials at Stoke City, to be saved by a magical character called The Great Alfredo Junior The Third, among other things) but that was last year's show - this is this year's show. I refuse to use the 'abusive Santa Claus' trick AGAIN, people will think I've run out of ideas. I've got loads of ideas, it's just a shame none of them work for this piece. This is the third and final outing for my creations, Alex & Buddy, the actors who play them (Colin and Vaughan) deserve a decent script, a good send off all round. We're missing Victoria from the acting team but Heather is back and she's great - this should be a doddle, and of course Kev is back as narrator. What is my problem? It's the 4th of fucking November and the script isn't ready yet, and I've hit a creative wall, just at the wrong moment. I'm going to put it aside, and come back to it with fresh eyes. Like I've done 3 nights in row. What a loser.

No comments: