Sunday 8 November 2009

Christmas script - done

Hurrah! It's been a good weekend. Okay, so it started off with a slightly frustrating evening in St. Ives, I'm still not sure why I was frustrated by it, it's just all a bit routine by now. I'm 28, it's probably really very good I found it frustrating, I probably should have done years ago. I'm not sure, I don't want to be one of those 'town we grew up in' bashers like you see on Friends Reunited; it's not big and it's not clever to ever believe you are above your hometown, it's just sometimes a man needs a change (that's probably why I moved away, but I still keep coming back for some reason...)

Anyway, Saturday was a really good, productive day. Started writing at 11am, by 6pm I was still flying. A quick break to see Juliette and a Tescos trip and then back into it, I eventually finished by 11pm. The results? A Christmas play I am really proud of, and a decent re-write of last year's panto that nobody saw because none of my lot dared go to a rough pub in Peterborough to watch it. It's all good really; 2 shows, one billing, 3 nights at CB2 in Cambridge, Christmas is all wrapped up nicely. Of course there's work to be done, like the guys for 'A Fairytale Of Bar Hill' need to rehearse the thing at some point, and I still need to find a couple cast members for 'Goldilocks And The Beanstalk' (although managed to find my perfect 'cow' tonight in actor David Geaser, whom I got chatting to at the ADC bar), but the difficult, brain straining bit of writing is now done. My brain feels exhausted, but in a rewarding kind of way. Bob Dylan's Christmas album helped a lot, as did the damp, festive weather, and the chocolate Hobnobs currently residing on my desk. I actually really think the Christmas script works as well; it tells a message, there's a bit of humour, and structurally it all came good in the end. The stressing was worth it, only hope my beloved cast like it after all this.

Tonight I was the MC for WriteOn's final evening of theatrical performances. Why I was MC I don't know; I'm the least likely person to do this. I'm a drummer, and a playwright, I do not go on stage and talk. It's probably because they know I have the inability to say no to anything, a theory proved again tonight. Luckily, I had a lift, so I could have a few drinks. I certainly wasn't drunk on stage, introducing the plays and running the somewhat intimidating feedback session, but I was certainly a few pints in at least. I received a lot of praise for my skills as host; word is my understated, floppy-haired British awkwardness added a whole new dimension to the evening. I tried to explain that I was awkward for a reason (the reason being I was petrified - it's really scary having 50 people all hanging on to your every word), apparently awkwardness, and modesty is all charming, and they're keen for me to do it again next year. Something here just isn't right, but I'm happy to go along with it for now.

No comments: