Tuesday 24 November 2009

Cabaret, christmas, thoughts and stuff

Well it feels like the cabaret show suddenly has a new lease of life, after I posted an advert on Chortle (a comedy website recommended to me by my friend Paul Kerensa) asking for a comedian for this week's show. In less than 2 days I've had offers of 8 comedians, it's difficult to tell who are actually any good but I think I've got 2 decent ones for this week's show at least, with a few more tucked away in reserve for future weeks if we get stuck. I'm going to try a few different things this week, make it even more of a 'proper cabaret', really mix the bands up with the comedians now we have plenty of both to play with. It could get messy, but if it works I think it will be a great show. It's a shame hardly anybody is actually going to see it - without wishing to go on a proper rant about this, ***RANT STARTS HERE*** I work bloody hard to put on shows and when people can't be arsed to go 20 minutes down the road to watch the best young comics in the country with some excellent bands for free entry it really frustrates me. Fuck it, lets all sit at home and watch TV instead, the highly moderated, safe version of what we're trying to create on stage. Clearly leaving the house after 7pm is not what people do anymore ***RANT OVER***

On a lighter note, the interest generated by the Chortle advert has made me realise how easy it could be to set up a comedy club, and be proper comedy promoter. I'll have a think about that for next year, without jumping into it like I tend to a lot these days.

Meanwhile, rehearsals for 'A Fairytale Of Bar Hill' have continued, and although one or two lines feel a little too crude for my liking (which is weird to think that considering I wrote them) I think it's a winner. We start rehearsals this Sunday for 'Goldilocks And The Beanstalk' - and when I say 'we', it really is 'we' because I'm the narrator for it. If I ever feel that I've taken too much on though I only need to look at Kevin Wright, not only have I got him acting in both Christmas shows, and hosting the cabaret night, he's now working on a stand-up routine for next week's show, I don't understand how he does it all, but he does and that's exactly why I like working with him. I'm slightly alarmed at how close it is until the premiere of the Christmas shows (they share one big festive bill) - they open on the 17th December, but everyone else around me seems to have a great deal of confidence about it all so I'm happy to put that in my 'it's all okay' pile for now.

Currently listening to: 'The Stage Names' by Okkervil River, 'A Swingin' Christmas' by Tony Bennett.

Currently reading: 'Look At Me, Look At Me' by Dom Jolly

No comments: