Tuesday 17 November 2009

Cabaret thoughts

Last week's first show (of five) raised one or two questions about what works and what doesn't in a non-seated venue. As a result, this week's show - which takes place tomorrow night, just feels a little bit sparse. We've managed to find a comedian in time (the very enthusiastic Jen Spencer), got 2 good bands playing (yep, one of them is mine...how arrogant) and the 'name that tune' game, but I don't think that's enough personally. It's a tricky one, but I need more ideas for this. Well, I have ideas, it's just none of them would work in this envrinoment. It's all a learning curve for me as a producer I guess, just feels like a lot of effort at the moment for a show which I can't even see getting a huge turnout. Negativity aside, this run is a good thing I think - at the end of the day we're still giving comedians a chance to do their thing, we're giving bands the chance to play, we're giving the venue a little more bar trade than they would normally get on a Wednesday evening. I reckon if I do another cabaret show, in 2010, I could really make good things happen...

No comments: