Thursday 12 November 2009

Gig report: Eureka Stockade @ Cambridge University Radio

Date: 12.11.09
Band: Eureka Stockade (duo set)
Venue: Churchill College, Cambridge
Type Of Gig: Radio performance
Venue Vibe: A bit like 'The Boat That Rocked', only not at sea
Audience: The presenter, the other act (Tracey somebody, she was very good) and they reckon lots of students listening in
Set List: Warm Hands, She Got Good

I actually really enjoyed this. We were asked to play a set at the station a few weeks back because one of our songs, 'Through Every Darkness' has been remixed as part of a project called 'The B-Side Project'. We assumed the gig wasn't happening, until Andy Brown, one of our two singer/guitarists, gets a text message at 6.20pm this evening saying the gig is on. Andy called around but two of the band, Rob and Nathan, had by now made other plans. As for me, my plans had fallen through so it was either play a gig or watch TV, and the telly signal is really bad around here so I took the drumming option. The studio itself was tiny, the presenter, a young lad in his early 20's was excellent, and we both felt very comfortable. It was nice that listeners were emailing in during the show, and it seemed to be a great novelty that there was a drummer playing tonight, myself and my ego liked this. It's the first time Andy and I have played a gig with just the two of us, as Eureka Stockade is very much Andy and Rob's band, with Nathan and I as the dependable rhythm section. It worked though, it was unrehearsed, but the two songs and interview were really smooth, and we've been asked back next week to play on the presenters other show. A bit of a late start, with the show opening at 10pm, but as far as unplanned evenings go I enjoyed that a lot.

No comments: