Monday 20 December 2010

So, that was 2010

This will be my last blog entry of 2010, unless something spectacular happens in the next couple of weeks. I was planning to write this in a couple days time, as my last thing on my to-do list before switching off from any projects for the rest of the year, but I suddenly have a free evening tonight due this country's inability to deal with the snow (thus cancelling trains, and meaning I couldn't get to play at the very special 'It's Going To Be An Awkward Christmas, Darling' show in London). So this is all very self-indulgent, kind of like a justification for being so busy, but hopefully by the time I've finished writing this I'll be proud of what I've achieved this year, or just ruing a wasted 12 months.

The year started slowly, with big plans of touring, which never actually materialised (both with Matt Corrall Band, and with the play, for different reasons). It was a typical start to the year though, making plans and setting the ground for projects that would later emerge, also leaving THE DAMSONS and reforming UNDER THE STREETLAMP in the process, I'm glad I did the latter, and sad about the former but had to be done. The end of January found me organising a charity gig for the Haiti victims, which was a nice event, and we did well I think, and I failed to grow a beard. February was spent writing new material, and we recorded the UNDER THE STREETLAMP album, IDEAL MEXICO, which was eventually released in December. In March I recorded some drums for ALIGHTING, and my play LETTERS TO SPARKLE was performed at RADA, a performance of my work which I'll never be more proud of - a magnificent night for both myself and my ego, and one of the highlights of the year. That reminds me...I need to facebook those actors involved again, for a project next year, they were awesome. March also saw me start a short run of gigs with JON ORCHARD and the first shows of the year for EUREKA STOCKADE, my play AN AMBULANCE STUCK IN TRAFFIC was performed at the Brockley Jack Theatre in London to a packed crowd, and my murder-mystery play, THE MURDER OF THE RAZZLE DAZZLE ROSE QUEEN was performed in Cambridge to an audience of 4 people. In April I purchased some congas from my works bonus, a gift to myself which would be extremely beneficial for the rest of the year (even if I didn't realise this at the time), and then there was great panic when our leading actor for our Brighton Fringe show pulled out due to transport issues, with just 8 days to go. I quickly learnt the lines and took the lead role in CAT FOOD, which opened that month in Cambridge. April also saw the launch of a continued music collaboration with RICHARD CONWAY with a modest gig in Histon, and AN AMBULANCE STUCK IN TRAFFIC was performed three times at The Horse in Waterloo, and it was another one of those spine-tingling moments, seeing my work done so well. In May, CAT FOOD headed to the Bury Fringe where it was performed in front of barely anybody alongside my new comedy, SOME PLAYS ABOUT INDIE ROCK, and then to the Brighton Fringe festival where it felt like it died on it's arse and I put aside any thoughts of me becoming an actor. Back to the gigs, I played congas for TOM TILBURY, and then drummed for hours at MATT CORRALL's 30th birthday gig, and the month ended with me turning 29 and LETTERS TO SPARKLE being successfully performed at The Old Kings Head in Islington, my faith in my writing ability quickly restored. June was spent largely watching the World Cup whilst working on new material, and then recording (with Richard Conway and Chris Lilley) the debut TRIP 35'S album, which still hasn't been released yet but we will get around to it soon. In July things started to get proper busy again, playing live and recording an EP with LU at the amazing High Barn studios in Essex, the sole performance of a sketch show I co-wrote with Alan Morgan called THE HEDGEHOG COLLECTIVE for the Cambridge Comedy Festival which went down a storm but neither of us were happy with it, and then a day to record all 5 episodes of my radio sitcom, THE MODEST ADVENTURES OF PATRICK AND CAMERON, which launched last week on Cambridge City Radio. Also in July I was back in the studio, this time to record with ETHAN ASH, the resulting tracks were released in November as an EP, and lead single, 'Tried To Get Rid Of Me' was iTunes single of the week, which is a handy CV note. August was spent rehearsing new shows, re-writing new material, and generally feeling bitter that I wasn't at the Edinburgh Fringe. The end of the month saw the preview performances of two new shows, the much-talked about (by me) spoken-word musical, CLOWNS, which surprisingly worked very well, and the messy but very much a return to form comedy, YEAR OF THE RAT. Both of those pieces ended up at the Lodestar Festival a week later, which was at the start of September. That month saw the mixing of the radio sitcom, lots of Under The Streetlamp action, and my first live show with the fantastic FLAMING JUNE, whom I've been playing with a fair bit since. In October I started playing congas for AIDY, and I still enjoy playing live with him now, I launched a comedy club, THE CORNERHOUSE COMEDY COLLECTIVE which failed instantly, got stressed out when my dad got seriously ill, then got happier again when he started the long road to a full recovery, and spent time in London/Cambridge writing with HELEN ARNEY, the result being our much acclaimed Christmas album, IT'S GOING TO BE AN AWKWARD CHRISTMAS DARLING, which we recorded over three intense days with the genius that is Martin Randle at the end of the month. It was released at the start of December, with Dave Gorman praising it, Chortle coverage, and airplay on BBC 6 Music, it's been one of the finest things I've been associated with. Also that month, played live with THE TRIP 35's for the first time, and my monologue, SLOW PUNCTURE, was performed in Cambridge. In November I played plenty of gigs, got stressed about the mixing of the Christmas album, wrote both Christmas shows and played live for the first time with ETHAN ASH for the EP launch show. Also, AN AMBULANCE STUCK IN TRAFFIC was nominated for an award for the performances in Waterloo earlier in the year, which it didn't win. And so here we are, December, the Christmas album released, Under The Streetlamp album was released, the debut self-titled album EUREKA STOCKADE was released, we recorded my Christmas radio comedy, THE CHRISTMAS COLLAR INCIDENT which will be broadcast on Christmas Day, played more gigs, and then our Christmas double-bill, (DAWN PALMER JUST WANTS TO BE) LONELY THIS CHRISTMAS and SANTA CLAUS & THE UNFORTUNATE ALLEGATIONS was performed 4 times in Cambridge to good, satisfied audiences, but it was a show which left me feeling a little flat, probably because I had to play the lead role in it. The year was supposed to end on a high tonight with the Awkward Christmas live gig in London, but the treacherous weather has put a stop to that, but looking back I think I've done enough to be proud of in there anyway. It's been a strange year - it started with my writing getting really noticed on the London scene, without me necessarily pushing it as such, but my biggest successes have come as a drummer (iTunes single of the week, 6 Music, festivals, some really good gigs etc). I've probably spread myself too thinly, but I think my list of credits is in a much better shape than it was 12 months ago.

And some stats:
This year I've played 49 gigs, and have played live with 15 different bands
I've been the drummer on 4 albums and 2 EP'S that have been released, with another 2 albums and 1 EP ready for release next year
I've written 15 plays (many of which haven't made it further than private performances for my own benefit), have had 13 different stage plays performed publicly, totalling in 29 performances of my work as well as (by the end of the year) 6 radio plays broadcast.

For every gig there's a story, whether it be simply one involving me getting lost finding the place, an on-stage assault on the singer, or even that magical glimmer that suggests things are actually going to plan. For every play performance there's a crisis, and a solution, and generally a happy ending, the above stats don't really say anything. My favourite gig of the year has to be Flaming June @ B-Bar, my least favourite was the festival in Windsor. The best performance of my script material is the stuff at RADA, my least enjoyable being the opening night at the Brighton Fringe. I've got much to be thankful for, and I'd like to think I deserve the rest I'm about to give myself, especially considering 2011 is already looking busier than ever. There's been a lot of people who have been very good to me this year, you know who you are.

Happy Christmas, Happy New Year x

No comments: