Friday 3 December 2010

Gig report: Flaming June @ The Haymakers, Cambridge

Bands: Flaming June
Venue: The Haymakers, Cambridge
Date: 03/12/10
Audience: Sparse at first, but fairly busy during the set and extremely responsive
Set: Rejoice, Stop The Ride, The Devil's Daughter, You Do Moody So Well, Nerves Of Steel, Little Love In A Cruel World, The Wizard, The Boy I Knew Before I Met You, The Insane Ex-Girlfriend Parade, Wednesdays And Weekends, Under My Skin
Notes: As with most Flaming June shows, I thoroughly enjoyed myself tonight. We were supporting touring band The Moulettes, and shortly after we started playing the audience seemed to get bigger and there was a really nice vibe to proceedings - the lively set met with people dancing and generally getting really into it. We were on the ball tonight as well, we're in good shape - I was a bit lost on 'Little Love In A Cruel World' but nobody would have noticed, the rest of it was pretty sharp. Flaming June put everything into their shows, every last ounce of energy, so whilst from a percussional point of view the songs are relatively simple, the force and speed in which they are played makes for a good workout and I always come off stage drenched in sweat. Which is a good thing. The Moulettes by the way were outstanding - I was going to go home early, but they were an incredible band and well worth checking out. On the way home both of my headlights went, which lead to a slightly concerning drive. The A10 is a very scary road when you're travelling on it in practically complete darkness, will get that sorted tomorrow me thinks...

No comments: