Friday 17 December 2010

Christmas play - performances 1 and 2

I'm knackered. I've just experienced what I put my actors through on a regular basis...that was a long night. It was a nice day at work (secret Santa - I got a mug that's a boobie, and it made me happy) and curry, before the news started to trickle through that Kevin - our leading man for the play - was stuck in Amsterdam. The snow is really heavy over there, no flights or anything. We were left with an ultimatum - either I step into the roles (which were Tim, Jesus, Jason, Policeman, Journalist and Cliff Richard) or the show is cancelled. I've never cancelled a play in my life, and didn't intend to start tonight, so we just went for it. Naturally, a couple of Kev's lot didn't bother to come down as he's a popular chap, but we did 2 performances (a total of 3 hours of 'acting') in front of lovely crowds tonight. I wasn't crap - I thought I would be - especially after watching a DVD of 'Cat Food' from the Brighton Fringe recently and realising just how bad an actor I am. But these characters are easier to play - slimy boyfriends, nervous losers, bitter religious shelf-filler etc, and I actually got a bit into it. Let's get this straight - I'm not an actor. But I wasn't far off tonight, and with Kev still stranded and unable to take in the next 2 performances on Sunday evening, I can wing it again. As for the plays themselves, the first piece - 'Dawn Palmer...' was met with much warmer laughter than the messy, lively second play, which is weird as I only spent 3 hours writing it. Either way, I'm a knackered, happy Paul tonight.

No comments: