Sunday 8 February 2009

Myspace

I'm not entirely sure how I haven't managed to realise this before; but the World Wide Web is a very powerful place. A couple weeks back I set up a Myspace page for myself as a playwright (simply titled 'Paul Richards: Playwright') - the plan being that there is direct links on there to my published work and hopefully if I add something like 30,000-odd friends just one or two of them might be tempted to buy it. You never know - if they do it could mean I double my royalties and receive £20 in my next cheque from my poor struggling indie publishers. Anyway - during my FIRST EVER bout of writers block, which I'm starting to realise is all a myth anyway - and it's just laziness, I've been adding friends the last couple of days, basically just working through the list of people who are friends with the Edinburgh Fringe. The chances are, if they're friends with the fringe, they're probably not tossers, like a good percentage of the world. The reception I've been getting has been really positive, and supportive, and even a little flattering. I've had a couple of messages tonight from people wishing me 'good luck' as a playwright, and emphasising on what a difficult industry it must be, a random girl saying how much she wished she'd seen my show at the Fringe last year and now, even more random-er, some American chap telling me this story idea he has and asking for advice on whether I think it's got legs for a full theatre script. He's asking me like I'm some kind of expert, suddenly I feel a little out of my depth, but oddly addicted to this whole Myspace thing - I'm started to feel ever so slightly respected, without having really achieved much as a writer apart from a couple self-produced Fringe shows, a couple smalltown publishing contracts and a hell of a lot of rejection from the beeb. It's all great, and exciting, because suddenly I feel like the world is willing to listen to my ideas. I CAN'T WAIT to have a new production, just because I can broadcast it to the world. It's just a shame that creatively I'm at a real weak point at the mo, everything I write seems to turn into either a pathetically over-written farce, or just a flat rom com with innuendo in place of genuine substance.

Anyway, that exciting new world known as the Internet aside, I am losing my mind slightly, but in a lazy, putting it aside for a couple days kinda way. I'm trying too hard to be a 'genius', my current ideas just aren't working. Even my latest completed show, 'Undemanding Lunchtime Theatre' stems from material which I started working on years ago. My very new play, 'Top Fella' is absolute rubbish. Bugger.

Tomorrow it's the deadline for the Brighton Fringe. I still don't know if I have a cast, and I'm awaiting times from my venue for performance. It's all a little tight - the show will be 'Undemanding Lunchtime Theatre', although under the title of 'A Little Undemanding Theatre' as it's going to be performed at night. Heather, Vaughan and Colin haven't got back to me just yet about their availability (Colin's excused as he's in Mexico), but Victoria and director Sarah have both replied enthusiastically which is enough for me to suggest it can be done. I'll book the show anyway (if I can fill out the form in time) and take it from there...

No comments: