Monday 2 February 2009

Impatience

It's snowing here in Histon, that's fun, and exciting, and potentially inspiring, but I'm just getting a little impatient with things. I think it's the fact that it's February, already, and things haven't generally gone to plan so far for 2009. Last night we had a reading of my new material with Edinburgh in mind - the 'Undemanding Lunchtime Theatre' scripts seem to have got the thumbs up from those who could make it (Heather, Sarah, Victoria, Alan), but then again I'd always sensed this would be the safe option; nice plays, nicely written, ends on a positive note. So, that's show one covered, which will probably go to some other places too - like Brighton, Buxton and Southend. My second proposal for Edinburgh though, 'The Man Who Loved His Car Far Too Much' died on it's theatrical arse. We went through the whole show, even acting it a little on the tiny stage of CB2, and it was met with much confusion. The thing is, I have a vision for it - a very clear vision, and I didn't explain it to the guys beforehand, in fact, even worse - I cheaply tried to justify it's random nature by chuckling and saying "it'll be good to give the audience a bit of a head fuck" - which didn't really do it's chances of production any favours recently. I was supposed to mention the need to entertain the audience without challenging them - a lively comedy with poetry, music, a good old fashioned romance...instead it looks like the Boy Richards is trying too hard. That's cool - one Edinburgh show in the bag, the second? Well, it's back to the drawing board I guess, I still have time to write something completely new...

Generally, I'm getting very impatient with a lot of things. At work there's still no contract offered - just general extensions to my temp contract, and I'm starting to feel a bit messed around by it all. It's not like work is the main priority - but if I don't have a job I can't move in to the lovely (if tiny) flat I looked at over the weekend (it's in the middle of nowhere, which is why I love it...), and I can't afford to even take one show to Edinburgh. It's all getting a bit silly, I should probably be looking for other jobs - yep, if I get sent home from work today early because of the snow (it's being talked about) that's what I'll do. But it's just so time consuming - I've got a million plays I want to write, I've got some song ideas I'm working on with my old mucker (and genius) Kerry. I probably am just being impatient, but you know - I'm in bands which just don't rehearse, I have a job which is always likely to be permanent but isn't, I have a faithful bunch of actors under my wing who are so talented and positive but my current material isn't doing them justice. Probably time for a few changes before this year slips away me thinks - I've been enjoying the non-drumming, non-writing space over the last week a little too much (courtesy of a rather addictive PC football game), I've made that mistake before and suddenly months disappear. Time for a change, even if I did finish a very respectable 4th in the league in my first season in charge of Blackburn Rovers.

No comments: