Tuesday 5 June 2012

Gig report: Jon Orchard @ Buckden Village Club, Buckden

Band: Jon Orchard (duo set)
Venue: Buckden Village Club, Buckden
Date: 04/06/12
Audience: Merry, friendly
Set: Not sure - lots and lots of songs
Notes: A quick, rare, covers gig with my old mate Jon. Nice venue, and I felt instantly welcome (you always know it's going to be a friendly evening when a complete stranger starts helping you carry your equipment in). Jubilee weekend so everyone was jolly, and this was Jon's fifth gig in four days, which is impressive (and perhaps secretly I was a little jealous as I'm always gig-hungry). Very much a show of two halves, the first set was pleasant, well received but perhaps a little subdued at times - although I still prefer playing Jon's original material as this deserves a wider audience. The second half, perhaps as the audience were a little more 'merry', was absolutely storming. Uptempo set, all pretty much crowd pleasers, we really went for it - to a lively, enthusiastic response. Such was the enjoyment in the room, I really hurt my hands playing that gig - I just got a bit too into it. They still hurt now, a day later. It's not like I've got some big gigs coming up in the coming weeks though...oh wait, oh bugger.

No comments: