Saturday 9 June 2012

Gig report: Flaming June @ The Golden Hind, Cambridge

Band: Flaming June
Venue: The Golden Hind, Cambridge
Date: 09/06/12
Audience: Quiet but really nice
Set: Rejoice, Under My Skin, You Do Moody So Well, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like, I Feel Love (Louise solo), The Insane Ex-Girlfriend Parade, Little Love In A Cruel World, Rumplestiltskin, Wednesday's And Weekends
Notes: That was a nice little gig that. We were supporting Will Kaufman who was playing a Woody Guthrie set - Will's an American performer currently on tour, such is my somewhat exhausting schedule right now I didn't stay to watch him which is a shame but I spoke to him briefly before the show and he's a very nice chap. The thing that threw me slightly this evening, as it always does in this situation, was the fact that the audience were all-seated. It felt like they were there to watch a theatre play, if anything it was far more sophisticated than we're used to - it was close to being a sellout so it felt very busy too. Although at first it felt like we were playing in a library I realised this wasn't the case - it was a slightly (and I mean this in the best possible way) older crowd, and they actually listen to the music, they smile when they hear funny lines (and there's plenty of them in Louise's songs), and then applaud generously at the appropriate moments. If anything they were the perfect audience, that's probably why it took me a few songs to get used to the vibe. It felt like my first gig in ages with Flaming June, but it's lovely to be back - the 40 minutes just flew by, the songs bounce along so nicely. I messed up the ending of 'Little Love In A Cruel World' but apart from that it was a well spirited, jolly set. Feel bad for leaving so early but I'm knackered - have spent the day clearing emails, sorting contracts for the preview dates of the Edinburgh show and feeling slightly physically dizzy, so keen to rest up ahead of tomorrow's frankly ridiculously long day. Me coming back early has nothing to do with the fact there's highlights of the European Championship on at 10.20pm on ITV. No. No. No not at all...

No comments: