Tuesday 5 June 2012

The calm (well, rehearsals) before the storm

I've been pretty quiet with the whole blog thing over the last few weeks, but that's not because things haven't been happening as such - on the contrary things are busier than ever, hence why I've often been too knackered to update this thing. I seem to be in endless rehearsals at the moment - for various bands, plays, and at some point all of these projects will burst into life. It's rather worrying that they are all about to burst into life around the same time - it's almost like there's too much excitement around the corner, and if I'm moaning about the amount of rehearsals how much will I be moaning when the shows actually happen? I'm moaning a lot at the moment; about the amount of lines I have to learn for the new Oscar Pike show (I wrote the bloody things, I should be able to pick them up), about women (very unprofessional of me for accidentally 'liking' somebody I'm technically a drummer for, let's get the gig out of the way and move on), about the fact my landlady is having lots of work done on the main house meaning I can't park near the front door of my flat which is a bugger when you're a drummer. Sorry to all those I've moaned at recently, there's quite a few of you, in person and on email. But things are happening - next week it's the Dowsing For Sound gig at the Corn Exchange which will be a huge, complex show and it's one of those slightly scary gigs that you live for as a musician. A day later we're filming The British IBM promo video, then a week later it's the Ickworth 'Relay For Life' day (I'm playing in three bands that day, and also walking the relay dressed as Santa Claus...it's a long story), then it's only a few weeks before the fringe shows open for previews - looking more and more like we'll be opening in Bristol on the 7th July now - there's a lot of work to be done ahead of that, a lot. After that I'll be on tour with The British IBM, then it's the Edinburgh Fringe, then Lodestar. Somewhere in the middle of all that I think I'm recording percussion for the new Flaming June EP, and my novel should be out as well by then. But at the moment things feel slightly frustrating because of all the rehearsals leading up to all of these big events find me in small (or with Dowsing, big) rehearsal rooms, learning stuff. Learning is good, but really can't wait to actually be set free and start performing properly. Patience has never been a strong point of mine.

Currently reading: Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace (I'm not a slow reader, I just haven't had time to read, honest...)
Currently watching: Father Ted - DVD box set
Currently listening to: One Day I'm Going To Soar by Dexys (beautiful, uplifting release from a troubled genius, I'll be obsessed with this record for weeks I think)

No comments: