Friday 11 February 2011

Gone Midnight - day 1 of filming

Just back from the first session of filming for my debut short film, Gone Midnight. We reverted back to the original title of the stage version, realising that the new title, If You Can't Make Me Happy, was a bit crap. It was a long old night, and Thursday's tech rehearsal was also a long old night, but I kind of feel like I shouldn't be moaning about energy levels because I've done nothing to be honest - all of my work was done last month with the script and then script re-writes, now it's down to the actors and crew. Boy, do they work hard. I just sit and watch them and feel exhausted, it's flattering to see my loosely penned words so clear and elegantly performed. There was a minor switch in the casting, with Robert the director stepping in for Vorn, who now takes a valuable off-screen role, and alongside actress Clare their talents, alongside the relentless energy of film maker Kate, producer Michelle, Alan (aided by runner Vorn) on sound, James with his filmy-based suggestions has all made me a bit excited as I sit in the corner of the tiny set and try my best to keep quiet. Day 1 of filming was pretty much an evening - started at 6pm (I was late, as always), and finished just before midnight. Alan and Clare are allergic to the house cat, but apart from that it's all going well I think. I think, at least, this film lark is a totally new experience to me. I'm a happy Paul tonight, I'm full of energy drinks and Michelle's lovely cooking, and can't wait for a full day of filming tomorrow which hopefully should complete this short.

Oddly enough, tomorrow (well, today by the time I've finished typing) sees the stage version of Gone Midnight being performed by the John Lewis Partnership at the Leicester Comedy Festival, where it will run for 2 days. It stars Sarah Ingrim and Phil Orvis. I keep thinking/comparing those two, and then the film actors - Robert Jezek and Clare Kerrison - both of them completely different partnerships, yet the play still works equally well, it's rather lovely. It's also lovely that Gone Midnight is being performed again, a few years after I wrote it and nobody gave a shite about it. It's a bit like 'Letters To Sparkle' being performed in London a fair bit last year - maybe in a couple years time all those plays I wrote last year that flopped really badly will suddenly start being noticed? Probably not, thinking of the rubbish I churned out in 2010. Letters To Sparkle, incidentally, is being made into a film by a different production team later this year, but that's a different story. Literally.

No comments: