Sunday 6 February 2011

Gigs, films and good times

I'm in a good mood about things at the mo, the general feeling that things are moving in the right direction. Last weekend's Dowsing For Sound gig still makes me smile, the best show I've ever been a part of, something I'm very proud to be associated with. I won't keep going on about it though, I think people are starting to get annoyed by my over enthusiasm about that one...anyway, it's all good fun, this creative lark. Last week went to watch Juliette in a play in Cambridge which was excellent, as well as do the radio show with Eureka Stockade, finish the new draft of the film script, rehearse with bands and do some writing with Heather (okay, let's be honest - it was a Friday night, our intentions are good but it had been a long week and we just ended up watching DVD's and having a cheeky beer instead). Last night's gig with Aidy and Eureka Stockade was such good fun. The comedown from the Dowsing For Sound thing worried me a bit - I'm growing to like different music these days, wanting to play different things - Latin rhythms, challenging soundscapes, and I was starting to worry that I wouldn't enjoy Saturday's show at the Portland because it was back to playing more conventional music, rock songs, that kind of thing. But I loved playing with both bands, and I realised that you just can't compare the projects. The crowd last night were so into it, in a proper sweaty, boozy, good time kinda way, I felt just as appreciated last night as I did the week before, which is the beauty of being involved with so many lovely bands. I feel very happy about this. The aftershow party at Aidy's was just fantastic - loads there, everybody was so nice, it's just so brilliant to meet new people, see friends, chat till the early hours. It was themed around Dave, our bassist, and there was even a tuck shop. I've never seen that much alcohol before at a party, it was ridiculous (in a good way) yet we still got through a majority of it I think. Evening ended with an improtu gig in the early hours from Aidy, and Steve Bradshaw (aka Brad Spreadsheet), a brilliant, brilliant night. Now need to focus on what will be a frantic week - main focal point being the filming of 'If You Can't Make Me Happy' - my debut as a screenwriter, after years of theatre and (more recently) radio stuff. The script has seen many changes, but all for the better - and we've got a wonderful team working on it - alongside me there is Robert Jezek directing, Michelle Golder producing, Kate Maddison (with help from James Page) is actually filming it, Alan Morgan is doing sound stuff, and two wonderful actors - Vorno Hancock and Clare Kerrison, who fit the roles to perfection. I've learnt so much in this process already, it's been a bit of a challenge, but I'm going to be a better writer because of it. Also next week I have a meeting about another film project for the summer (more on that soon), a catch up with the Dowsing For Sound bunch, off to see the genius that is Daniel Kitson, and play a gig with Flaming June. My other 'must do before I'm 30' plans - tour a play, finish my novel, and record a jazz album called 'Death By Congas' will probably be delayed by another week then, but it's not like I'm sitting around the flat eating pizza all day is it?*

* I've done a fair bit of that recently to be honest.

Currently listening to: Joshua Redman - Compass, Slow Club - Yeah So, The Dawn Parade - The Dawn Parade.

Currently reading: It's Lovely To Be Here (by James Yorkston)

Currently watching: How Not To Live Your Life (yes, still, I'm a bit addicted)

No comments: