Thursday 21 October 2010

Tough week, this

I was expecting to be writing a review of the second Cornerhouse Comedy Collective show this evening, instead I'm sat back at my parents' house reflecting on what has been a tough week. For the sake of my family privacy I can't go into details, but a member of my immediate family has been in hospital all week - having had a big operation a couple weeks ago which has gone horribly wrong, so this week the surgeons have been trying to fix things. It's difficult not to feel angry; that person goes in for an op, and two weeks later they have to go back in for a much bigger, serious op just to repair the damage from the first one. Human error - it can happen any time, in any profession, but when I cock up at work (which let's be honest, is plenty of times) it can't cause physical damage to somebody. That's probably why I'm not a doctor, I'm not brainy enough and certainly not brave enough, but human error scares me when one of the people I am most closest to in the world, if not the closest, has to suffer very badly when somebody gets it wrong. It's been a tough week. I've pulled out of every commitment, be it theatre or music, and if anything all this has reminded me that I probably have too much on - I've had to pull out of a lot, which ultimately just gets stacked up to next week, and I doubt I'll be at my best for much of it. Every thing I've pulled out of though has been met with great friendship from those who know the situation - people are lovely, people do understand I'm stressing a bit. Have no idea how the Cornerhouse comedy went tonight, although I must mention Michelle Golder who I called at 5pm realising we were both an act and a host down, she stepped in and took control for me - I owe her beer, lots of it, not many people could do that. A friend, who went to the show, text me "dude, you forgot to hire the audience", which suggested it was an awkward night for the comedians who have generously travelled a fair distance to do a gig in front of what is most likely to be (judging by the Facebook page) 3 people - I've promoted the comedy show a great deal, if people don't want a comedy night in Cambridge they won't turn up, it's as simple as that, so let's not bother in the future, it's just a waste of everybodies time. I got that text whilst visiting in hospital. The person I was visiting had come out of the major operation successfully and was even a bit chatty, next week we may even have them back home with us. I'm relieved, nothing else feels anywhere near as important right now.

No comments: