Monday 11 October 2010

Slow Puncture @ WriteOn/ADC Theatre

It's been a while since I've submitted any new material to WriteOn, the Cambridge theatre group who do lovely things for new writers such as give their work performances. The main reason behind this was because I'm keen to avoid routine, I am getting routine at the moment - and I think this could be dangerous for my creativity. At the last minute before the submission deadline though I couldn't help myself and sent over my very latest short script, I think just to keep my name out there, just to see this piece performed and - perhaps more truthfully, I just love the nervous tension of watching my own work on stage. The piece itself was a monologue called 'Slow Puncture', it's about a slow puncture (oddly enough), and a man who can't change a tyre and accidently gets himself into a bit of a tangle by thinking that the girl driving in front him think's he's following her. He's awkward, thinking far too much, spirals off into brief moments of fantasy and panic, before there's a polite modest conclusion. Typical Paul Richards play really, and perhaps my fears of writing with a sense of routine are fully justified, but I've certainly nailed that akward young man character totally now, having written for 'him' about 15 times in the last couple of years. And the audience all seemed to love it, one person even said it was the best thing I've ever written. I asbolutely don't agree at all, but I'll happily take the compliment anyway.

No comments: