Thursday 7 October 2010

First ever 'Cornerhouse Comedy Collective' show

I didn't really want to be the producer of these shows, I say that in all honesty - I commit to a lot by accident, and this one suddenly ended up being something I've ended up doing. But the need for a new regular run of comedy in Cambridge is needed, I think, after the demise of the excellent 'Lol-a-thon', organised by my mate Andy which was always something I enjoyed. Tonight was the first ever proper comedy show at the Cornerhouse, and due to the fact that I've been wrapped up in a family serious operation thingy all week I've not had time to promote, so it's a miracle anybody turned up at all. A couple of the comedians looked at the stage, and then looked at the function room around the back and suggested we do the show there instead; it's a tiny space, with no PA, but it worked. It really worked tonight. We had acts from East London, Yorkshire, Portsmouth, and a few more local people performing in front of an audience of 11 people. But it worked. Tiny space, friendliness all around, a really good vibe in the air, all 6 acts were amazing so those who did turn up were treated especially well. It shouldn't have worked at all, tiny audience, venue probably not suitable, but sometimes if people want to have a good evening, they will, and tonight both the audience and acts were on the same side and it was a lovely thing. Looking forward to the next one now, this could be the start of something both special, and time consuming.

No comments: