Tuesday 7 September 2010

Lodestar Festival

It finished a couple days ago, yet I'm still feeling like I'm recovering from it. Yes, that's how good Lodestar Festival was this weekend, a creatively inspiring two and a bit days surrounded by lovely people, great bands and some top-notch theatrics. On a personal level, my own shows seem to go down very well - 'Clowns' didn't feel too good on stage as we felt we were being drowned out a little by the main stage which was diagonally behind us, but the audience didn't seem to mind, kept with it (and there was plenty of them too) and even said nice things after which was a relief. I wasn't comfortable being the narrator, a concern previously expressed, but with other options falling through I had very little choice - still not sure if it worked with me at the helm or not but if it goes further (which it looks like it's going to) we'll bring in a proper actor, leaving me to play the congas. On the Sunday things seemed much more peaceful, and our comedy 'Year Of The Rat' sailed by with a nice audience and everyone happy - I'm particularly happy that I wrote scripts of the more boisterous nature for this event as instant comedy seems to be the way forwards with festival crowds. I also played a gig with Jon Orchard whilst there - it's been a while, and we were a touch unrehearsed, but in keeping with the Lodestar vibe it was a nice experience and much fun was had, he writes some top tunes and it was great to be on stage alongside him. Outside of putting on shows, other productions which I had recommended/booked for the event went down a storm - my old mate from Wales, Tracy put on some excellent theatre, as did the ever brilliant Gytha Lodge with her award-winning 'Otherwise' production, The Gamlingay Players put on two top-notch comedies, and the finale for the Arts Stage was a comedy triple bill with three mates - Jen Spencer, Julia Bolden and David Trent all storming it. This on top of frighteningly brilliant bands all over the place, much social fun and banter till the early hours and wonderful hospitality from the organisers and I drove back from Lodestar with no voice, having had very little sleep, but the happiest I've felt in years.

No comments: