Sunday 26 September 2010

Gig report: Trystonbury Festival, Windsor

Bands: Eureka Stockade, Aidy
Venue: Trystonbury Festival, Windsor
Date: 25/09/10
Audience: Sparse, friendly
Sets: Eureka Stockade - not sure of the order but it was identical to the recent Cracking Tunes showcase gig with one extra track, 'Sharks' added. Aidy - I've only had one rehearsal so not sure of the song names just yet...
Notes: A nice idea this one, and glad we did it. Long drive to Windsor, being delayed constantly by accidents and roadworks, Trystonbury is a very small - but equally very friendly festival that I felt instantly welcome at. Being the first and second acts on, both of the bands I played with played to next-to-nothing audiences, but even so those who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves and I imagine it was a brilliant atmosphere later in the evening (sadly I couldn't stay and get drunk with the others due to an important commitment back in Cambs). Eureka Stockade's set was tight and likable enough although we all know we can play a lot better than this, and I was very aware of the fact that I was so close to the edge of the stage and was extremely lucky not to fall of it on various occasions so I couldn't put every energy into it. Playing for Aidy afterwards found me on congas, not drums, so had a little more space and generally relaxed more into his wordy, itchy, guitar-led songs which I'm starting to get the hang of (a couple gigs next week with him and his band should see me really hit the groove running). Unlike some festivals I've played at over the years, the organisers of Trystonbury are remarkably friendly, and the setting is nice too, which suggests it could grow into something rather brilliant.

No comments: