Tuesday 21 September 2010

Gig report: Flaming June @ The Portland Arms, Cambridge

Band: Flaming June
Venue: The Portland Arms, Cambridge
Date: 21/09/10
Audience: Grew as the set continued, very enthusiastic, some of them were really, really into it
Set: Rejoice, Stop The Ride, The Devils Daughter, You Do Moody So Well, Hit The Ground, Nerves Of Steel, The Wizard, Little Love In A Cruel World, Insane Ex Girlfriend Parade, Wednesdays & Weekends, Under My Skin
Notes: My first gig with Flaming June, a band I've had 2 rehearsals with - and a band I originally met many years ago when we shared the bill at the Boat Race (2002 I think, now I feel old). I really like this little four piece, I'm playing congas a lot at the moment but there's something about the FJ material that really lends itself to percussion, more so than most - although the band is deeply rooted in rich folk influences, Louise writes really angry songs in the vein of PJ Harvey and the whole thing culminates in a really exuberant (and when performing, knackering) set. I knew most of the set pretty well, there was a couple grey areas after the couple rehearsals we've had (the stops in Wednesdays & Weekends, and I completely missed the ending of Little Love...) but for a first gig it was really pretty strong I think and we all seemed pretty happy after. The lively audience helped a great deal, and the sound as always at the Portland was excellent, looking forward to our next show in a few weeks time now. Gutted I couldn't stay for the headline band but I've got a million (okay, 2) big writing deadlines that I just haven't had time to work on, this could be a long night...

No comments: