Sunday 12 September 2010

Gig report: Cracking Tunes gig @ The Cornerhouse, Cambridge

Bands: Under The Streetlamp, Eureka Stockade
Venue: The Cornerhouse, Cambridge
Date: 11/09/10
Audience: Plenty of them, sweaty
Sets: Under The Streetlamp - Sunny Rainy Tuesday, I Never Win, Anything Nothing, Do I Don't I I Do, Mostly Twilight, Last Excuses Of Summer, Honest Lullaby. Eureka Stockade - can't remember, but it was 9 songs, opening with She Got Good and ending with Heroes Fall.
Notes: A bloody good night, that was. With my label, Cracking Tunes, starting to become more publicly prominent, I put on a night of some of the acts we've signed recently at the intimate, but lively Cornerhouse in Cambridge. There was four bands altogether, in between my bands there was a brilliant set from the ever consistent Tom Tilbury and a full-throttle set from the frighteningly tight Lost Weekend. Under The Streetlamp, appearing second, were unrehearsed (despite our intentions - although getting all four of us in a room at the same time seems to be an issue at the moment) but we've been playing these songs on and off for a couple years now and we just slotted back into them relatively comfortably. It was incredibly hot up there - which may have drained our performance slightly, but the audience took to us and we responded well I think, I still love this band very much. After the Lost Weekend did their thing, I was back up again with Eureka Stockade, who were marginally more rehearsed (ie; we rehearsed on Tuesday for a session that was nothing short of worrying) and we fought through the humidity, we were all drenched in our own sweat by the end of it. But it was a decent show - a little shaky at the start, but technically probably the best we've ever played. It was a longer set for us, but we're hitting form again after a bit of a break, and on a personal level it's really good for me to be back hitting drums in front of a good audience again after what feels like six months of studio work and light conga playing. Good stuff. I'm already thinking we should do another Cracking Tunes gig soon - there's something about the title 'Have A Cracking Christmas' that I like the idea of very much.

No comments: