Friday 30 July 2010

SGP and new material

Last weekend was very music based, although somewhat annoyingly I was being the journalist, rather than the musician. Reviewing mega-superstar Pixie Lott play in the tiny village of Pidley was certainly something different for a Saturday evening (my full review of the event can be found here: http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/latest-news/review_pixie_lott_performs_at_cambs_charity_gig_1_549383), and the rest of the time was spent at the Secret Garden Party festival, which is fast becoming one of the permanent fixtures in my yearly diary. Was great fun, as you can imagine, the weather held out and I had plenty of time to just lie in a field jotting script ideas down whilst watching various bands do their thing. Plenty of highlights, but in short - Mercury Rev, Revere and Darwin Deez made the weekend for me.

Last night we had a new material session. I was grateful that most of the actors I invited turned up and gave up their time to read through some of my stuff, and also a few other theatrical friends who's advice is always invaluable. I made the point of inviting down some of my harshest critics, which sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable, and there were points when I felt very down about everything; of the 3 plays there seemed to be a little negativity expressed afterwards; 'The Lonely, The Poor, The Big I Am' doesn't really work at all, 'Falling Apart With Martin' needs to have a reason why the lead deserves his happy ending and 'Totally From The Heart' - whilst littered with lovely moments, needs to be less obvious to the audience. A pretty long night then, but these are all only minor tweaks and people seemed in mutual agreement that with a little re-structuring here and there I've got myself some decent new material on my hands. A productive evening, but not easy to stomach sometimes. I've got to have a new play ready in time for the Lodestar Festival in September, I was hoping that one of last night's plays would fit the bill but I think it's time to go back to the drawing board and work on something completely new - time is tight, but that's all part of the fun...

No comments: