Sunday 4 July 2010

Recording with Lu, Trip 35's, sketch shows

I don't know what's up with me right now, but I can't seem to stop doing stuff - like I have lost the ability to switch off for an evening. Either way, I'm happy enough - the sketch show is now finally starting to look like a show after a totally excellent rehearsal yesterday in which we even realised the show was over-running so had the luxury of dropping yet more material. The cast are great, the director is great, the scripts are looking better than they do on paper, my co-writer Alan and I can finally sit back and let the others get on with it. The show is next Sunday - it's a one-off performance for the Cambridge Comedy Festival and hopefully we can repeat the success of last year's show, which was surprised us all greatly.

Today I've been at the incredible High Barn Studios in Essex to record drums for Lu's forthcoming new release, with the ever-brilliant Rob Toulson producing/engineering. It's a lovely place to make music - high wooden ceilings, grand piano, that air of 'good people record here regularly' about it. And it's so much easier when I know the engineer - Rob knows my kit inside out as he's recorded it a million times before at his regular studio (Half Ton Studios in Cambridge) and as I drum for his band, Eureka Stockade, he also knows my drumming and if there's a better take in me. Also, it's helped greatly that Lu and I have been rehearsing like crazy over the last couple of weeks, as we know this material pretty well now. We're booked in for 2 days, the plan for today was to simply spend hours getting everything sounding top-notch, before recording tomorrow, but we're already ahead of ourselves as we've got one track down already - 'Beyond', which I reckon is the best thing Lu's ever written (certainly from a record label point perspective). The plan is to nail top quality performances of 5 tracks - although judging on how long we spent nailing 'Beyond' I'd be more than happy to come out with 3 or 4. All in all, a cracking days work - although my Sat Nav let me down a bit with the weirdest way home - and I swear the way I entered the M11 wasn't right/legal...

Just got back to listen to the first 3 tracks from the Trip 35's album that we recorded last month - that's the one that we did in a very DIY manner in Richard's girlfriend's lounge. The songs are wordy, experimental and as lo-fi as you can get, but I'm proud of them - 3 have now been mixed by Chris (our fiddle player), they can be heard here:

http://www.reverbnation.com/thetrip35s

I can't wait for the rest of the album to be done. Because by then the Under The Streetlamp album will be mixed, and of course there's the Eureka Stockade album (which I recorded my parts for last year) and whatever we record tomorrow on the way too - I knew all this studio work would eventually see the light of day. Good times.

Right, got to re-write a sketch, write my column for the Hunts Post, and organise a 'new material night' for my 2 new plays, and then sleep to prepare for the caffeine-led recording tomorrow.

Currently watching: The Worst Week Of My Life (DVD), This Life (DVD), The World Cup
Currently listening to: Ed Harcourt - Lustre, Divine Comedy - Bang Goes The Knighthood

No comments: