Monday 19 July 2010

Recording with Ethan Ash

Spent the day in the studio laying down some tasty drum parts for that ridiculously talented Ethan Ash fella today. I have to say, I've enjoyed pretty much everything I've done in the studio recently, and today was another brilliant way to spent a Monday. It was the perfect level between fun and hard work, with the songs fully taking priority. We recorded at Half Ton, where I spend lots of time, with Rob T producing/engineering, whom I work with frequently. Ethan's songs are superb - they're proper soul songs, and the challenge for me today was to be as laid back as possible, deep down in the groove and lay off any fancy fills. The fact that I'd only had 5 hours sleep really helped a great deal actually - a dozy Paul Richards is a relaxed Paul Richards, and we eased through the day with decent drum takes nailed for all 4 songs. I was booked for 2 days session drumming, but we got everything done today - yet, such is how much I believe in these songs, I'm still going to spend all tomorrow in the studio just seeing how they grow with more instrumentation as I'm keen to see how they develop. And I'll probably eat a lot of Pringles too, such is the nature of these things.

No comments: