Wednesday 4 August 2010

Deadlines, ideas and general lack of time

Exciting things are happening on the label side of things with one of my artists. And I actually mean exciting, not just the usual blind optimism which litters my existence. No, really exciting things, but I can't say anything until things are confirmed and it's such a shame because I'm such a blabbermouth I just want to blurt it all out. Hopefully in the next couple weeks or so though I can mention it, because it's a really exciting thing.

It suggests also that things may get busy soon musically, and admin-ee, and also Alister (Streetlamp) is now back so that means we can get gigging again soon, and Eureka Stockade are back in action too, and I've also just joined a folk band called Flaming June, and the Trip 35's will be mixing the album again in a few weeks time and...goodbye evenings, but I love it, and need it actually - too much time in front of a screen right now, not enough time in dark, smelly rehearsal rooms.

I have too many ideas, and too little patience at the moment. Currently working on the script for my show at the Lodestar Festival in early September - it's basically a month away tomorrow, so I need to nail the script sharpish. The production is called 'The Year Of The Rat', it will be performed rehearsed, but script-in-hand at the festival, but I want the cast to have as much time as possible with the material. It's basically a series of short plays, about people who were born in the Chinese Year Of The Rat - the definition of these people being ambitious, passionate but also thrifty and easily angered. Loads of material for that there. I've resisted the initial thought of re-hashing ideas from 'Some Plays...About Indie Rock' which was performed earlier this year at the Bury Fringe to a tiny audience, because I really like Lodestar and want to give them something totally new. At the moment, I want to cram 18 short plays into 45 minutes, and tick off as many genres as possible in doing so. We'll see how it turns out. I've also got my much delayed spoken-word musical, 'Clowns' being performed at the festival. Meeting my musician chums tomorrow night to work out how exactly we perform a spoken word improvised musical. Should be a doddle...

Have also agreed to help launch a brand new comedy night in Cambridge, starting in mid-September, after a meeting last night. We need a title more than anything, I like 'Rant & Banter Comedy', but nobody else does, any suggestions appreciated.

1 comment:

Aidy said...

Glad to hear Eureka Stockade are back in action :-)