Saturday 27 March 2010

Murder mystery - fears

I opted to re-write my older murder mystery in the end, a play called 'The Murder Of The Razzle Dazzle Rose Queen', having realised the one I was writing (Death Of A Footballer) didn't work on any level at all, and that I have an exceptionally good cast who deserve better. I've spent a lot of time on the script this week - re-writing is something I struggle with, but I feel it's a lot better for it, sharper, darker, better music. The guys start rehearsals tomorrow at 4pm, with the performance at 8pm. One actress who's read it (and who's in it, although I won't name names) doesn't seem to like it, the other actors haven't replied. I have huge doubts suddenly about the script, despite the fact it went down really well 2 years ago - but maybe that's just because I had a kind, village audience then, who were pissed? Either way, ticket sales have been incredibly poor, even my friends who are usually so supportive seem to have given up on coming out to these things anymore. Nobody really cares about this show, it's got failure written all over it. I should just stick to doing Fringe stuff and networking in London. It's a day before the show, but I already know what I'm going to be writing tomorrow night/Monday morning about it: why the fuck do I bother?

No comments: