Monday 22 March 2010

More projects, more London stuff, impossible deadlines

The next week or so could get slightly stressful, I think. It's my fault – not only do I have the 'yes man' attitude by accepting anything that comes my way, but I also suggest other things on top of that. It's been a busy week or so, I had the idea recently of writing a full radio series – a sitcom consisting of 6, 10-minute episodes, that will be on Myspace, YouTube etc, with two intentions: 1) to have enough demand for a second series, and 2) to enhance the reputations of those involved. I think there's room online for a new sitcom, and you never know – it could get heard by the right person. The show is called 'The Moderate Adventures Of Patrick And Cameron', and I've just finished writing the 4th episode, I'm happy with it all so far and have a pretty clear idea of casting, if those who I have in my head are keen. Once it's all written, and workshopped, I think recording it in front of a live audience would be in order, but writing the final two instalments has to be put on hold for a week as I have the small issue of writing a murder mystery show. It's being performed this Sunday, and I've secured the services of Robert Jezek (star of Eastenders, Renault adverts, Fat Boy Slim videos and many other things) to take the lead role, alongside the always brilliant Juliette Burton and Heather Yeadon. It's a great cast, and a great concept - I just need to write it. Murder Mystery's are generally the hardest thing to write, and due to other people being off I can't even take a day's leave, which was my attention, from work to write it. Evenings are looking pretty busy too – meeting with Jo Smythe (director) tonight to discuss my second Bury St. Edmunds Fringe show ('Some Plays About Indie Rock') which is creeping up soon and needs to be in rehearsals by now, plus band rehearsals for 2 bands, a charity gig with Jon, and then a wedding for somebody I've never actually met before. I'm going to have to write 'Death Of A Footballer' during my lunch breaks, it's a challenge and I like challenges – but even by my recent standards this is gonna be a tight one. In the meantime band-wise things continue to be looking up, heard the first track to be mixed from the Under The Streetlamp album earlier and it's sounding good – Rob Toulson (from Half Ton Studios, also my bandmate in Eureka Stockade) is a superb engineer and I'm excited about hearing the rest of it, and on Saturday I rehearsed for the first time with my old chum, Lu. She's been on my Cracking Tunes label for a while now as a solo artist, and we wanted to experiment how it sounds with a full band – and so Lu, myself and the always excellent Claudia McKenzie jammed a few of Lu's tracks in a small studio and it sounds rivetingly good – I mean, we always knew Lu could sing/play piano, but with a little light ride cymbal work and Claudia's deep-down groove it was taken to another level and we're all suddenly very excited, it's essentially jazz/blues but often dips into Gospel territory. We were only experimenting on Saturday, but all three of us were quick to agree by the end of the session that this simply HAS to continue as a band so we're already lining up recording and gigs. Another band, then, but another good band too and I feel very grateful to play with all these wonderful people. Yesterday I drove to London to watch my play, 'An Ambulance Stuck In Traffic' being performed at the Brockley Jack Theatre, for what was one of the more surreal atmospheres I've experienced recently. Firstly, I'm just chuffed that I drove to London and back without crashing, that in itself is an achievement (especially considering I have 2 slow punctures), a lot of that was made easier though by the fact I was joined in the car by Heather, and Lizzy Mace, who fancied the road trip and their good conversation stopped me getting too stressed. I was pleased to be there – I've been meaning for a while to do something with London producer Tanith Laindon and it was great to finally meet her after chatting a fair bit on email, and the theatre itself is lovely – a small space at only 50 capacity, but perfect sized performance area and attached to a pub/restaurant where we enjoyed good food beforehand. The quality of the acts on the bill – which ranged from comedy sketches to experimental art and then my play at the end, was exceptionally high again – although I said this about RADA a couple weeks back too and maybe this is because the standards of theatre in London are high compared to Cambridge where we can get away a lot (like putting on a murder mystery without even writing it until the week of the show). But the audience last night – well, they were well dressed, seemed educated – and just didn't laugh or enjoy anything. My piece got a few little giggles every now and then at the really obvious jokes, but all in all very strange – I laughed at a lot of stuff on the bill, I enjoyed it, but it was one of those evenings where people just seemed awkward, or over critical, and I came out feeling slightly negative about the whole thing. Still, Chris O'Donnell seems like a good director and a nice chap so I'll add him to my 'would like to work with again' list, which is getting rather long now, although sadly still nowhere near the 'avoid working with ever again' list, which is onto a second page.

Currently listening to: Emma Pollock (both albums, a lot, because she's brilliant), Elvis Costello: Live At Hollywood High, Okkervil River: The Stage Names

Currently reading: A book about how they wrote and produced Fawlty Towers, and also 'Complete Madness' – a surprisingly brilliant book about the band Madness.

Currently watching: Black Books – series 2 (DVD)

No comments: