Tuesday 30 June 2009

Film scripts, Edinburgh and general musical confusion

I'm not sure if I like this hot weather. I know everybody raves about it but to be honest I'm just getting a little bit grummpy with the heat, and I'm thinking far too much, which is never a good thing...

Things are okay I think, Kerry and I have decided to scrap the name Rory Bullard because it just didn't suit what we do. We discussed several other names, and alas, we're now called Dear Old Blighty; like we were three years ago when we were in a band together. It's a cracking name for a band, but part of me feels we could have done with a proper fresh start, and going back to your old name doesn't really give that impression. Name aside though, we were really happy with the recordings we did with Rob T the other day, hopefully they will emerge on our Myspace soon as they sound simplistically beautiful. The problem with Kerry though is that he's such a perfectionist and won't let anything out to the public until it's spot on. Is that a problem? Probably not, but it does mean things just take a bit of time, sometimes. The plan is still to record an album called 'Songs About Darling', although it will be even more story/concept based than ever. What is it with concept/story albums these days? I've had another offer from a friend to record one with him (which I intend to once I've fully got my head around the storyline), and I've had that 'Clowns' idea for a long time. Also, I've been listening a lot to an incredible album called 'God Help The Girl' by Stuart Murdoch (Belle & Sebastian), and Neil Hannon (Divine Comedy) is releasing an album soon purely with songs about cricket. Is this the start of some kind of theatre pop revolution? It's all good, I guess, but sometimes I just feel like playing some great songs; no pretension, here's the songs - go out and play them to people. I'm yearning for that at the moment, probably because gig-wise things have dried up a little, I need to be out there more simply being a 'drummer'.

As a writer things seem to be a bit easier; probably because I'm not constantly waiting/relying on other people, I can just sit down at my PC and write, god damn it. On Friday evening, as thunderstorms rattled the little village I reside in, I stayed in and re-visited an old project; a half-finished film script called 'New Adventures In Sat Nav'. Suddenly, I felt very excited by it again - 2 years after I started writing it. The creative process still amazes me, suddenly I worked out the twist, and how to end it, and wrote the remaining 20 or so pages of it over the weekend. Just need to tidy it up a bit and then I'll do the rounds with it.

In the meantime I've had initial discussions with my old pal, Irsan Ismail, about setting up a theatre company in London, which he seems very keen to do, and I still need to confirm the musicians for next week's recording session for the Matt Corrall Blues Album. I've also flooded my bathroom, which is annoying, and very careless of me, and I'm now without my own toilet, bugger. Ah yes, and the Edinburgh Fringe rehearsals are seemingly going well, despite the fact we've still not got cast pics or a flyer design and the show is very soon. In fact, I should probably stop writing this, and get my arse in gear...

No comments: