Sunday 14 June 2009

I'll Drive Tonight, Darling, and studio stuff

Quietly, this year is turning into a goodun. Phew! That fact emphasised by another decent weekend. We've all had a fairly stressful time with I'll Drive Tonight, Darling - our sketch show for the Cambridge Comedy Festival. The stress has mostly come from the fact that we had bugger-all time to put the thing together, by the time I'd been offered the show, brought in Alan Morgan as a co-writer, found a suitable director (Anita Lehmann) and a lively cast it was only a matter of weeks before the event. It really does go to show that anything can be achieved if you've got a cracking team alongside you; the cast of Juliette, Kevin, Heather and Carl worked very, very hard for Anita, and the show can only be considered a rousing success - Saturday's performance at The Boathouse was well attended, the audience loved it, and most importantly I don't think anybody would have known how rushed the whole thing was. Following the (surprise) success in Brighton, the second production of the year has made me very proud for the second time this year.

Today I was in the studio with Kerry, recording some stuff - this time with the technical genius that is Rob Toulson doing all the clever technical genius stuff. I have high hopes about the results of today's live-ish recording (ie; live but with one overdub), we recorded four songs in, somehow, four hours - and that includes all of the clever technical genius stuff that goes into getting a good sound out of slightly out of tune drums and complicated organs. The songs were; When You’re Not Around (It's Barely Worth Me Breathing), Club Culture, Too Many Things Just Went Wrong and Great Achievers. My hopes are on Great Achievers to be our debut single, but I imagine Kerry is far more realistic than me and will probably want to listen the recordings first before I jump the gun, like I have this knack of doing...

Creatively, it's going to be a less active week ahead - but I plan to fill the gaps with proper good writing time. So many ideas, so little skills at prioritising. Still, for when I get frustrated staring at a screen all evening there's my first rehearsal with The Damsons tomorrow night, and an Edinburgh Fringe rehearsal on Wednesday to look forward to…

Right, best get back to being proud.

No comments: