Thursday 2 February 2012

Writing stuff

Things are falling into shape, just about, I think. There's a few niggles at the moment, like the fact that I've somehow ended up with 48 Penguin bars (they were on offer, but I don't and never have liked them, what WAS I thinking?), and also my right eye seems to be playing up at the moment - it does this about every six months. My left eye is awesome though, never lets me down.

It's been a decent and productive start to the year so far, but lots to be done. One of them is our YouTube series, 'The Oscar Pike Diaries', which I have now written. 6 lovely episodes, which I managed to 'bash out' in 12 hours, whilst listening to 'Please And Thank You' by The Broken Family Band on repeat. I'm really happy with the first drafts - it goes a bit sitcom at times (naturally), but the title character is so easy to write for (you could argue this is because he's basically a loser version of me, or you could argue it is indeed just me, either way you're probably right) and it was lovely to write for 'Maddy' again. It's a bit like a character I wrote for Vaughan Allanson a few years back called Buddy - we managed to keep it going for a few years because I was enjoying writing the dialogue so much. Maddy (played by Izzy Nicolson in the first Oscar show so brilliantly last year) develops during the series, but is completely nuts throughout as much as we see her vulnerable side - yeah, get me, genuine character development and all that. Oscar struggles, because he's supposed to - he needs to learn that sometimes it isn't always about him, but he means well and he'll get there, somehow. Tonight I met up with Izzy for a quick catch up and glance over the scripts and she's really happy with what she'll be working with, typically it's a little overwritten, but there's some nice stuff there and the characters are so clear we'll enjoy this. I'd even say it's some of my best work, but I'm bound to say that, aren't I?

Next up, I need to write a murder mystery this weekend, with a performance on 4th March now booked in. It'll be set in a jazz bar, and will probably feature a death at some point. That's as far as I've got so far, though.

Currently watching: Human Remains (TV series, DVD), 2012 (Sitcom, BBC), Match Of The Day
Currently listening to: Broken Family Band - 'Please And Thank You', Guillemots - 'Red'
Currently reading: Paul Watson - 'Up Pohnpei', although Stuart Murdoch - 'The Celestial Cafe' arrived in the post the other day and I'm desperate to read that.

No comments: