Friday 4 March 2011

Gig report: Flaming June @ The Tap & Spile, Lincoln

Band: Flaming June
Venue: The Tap And Spile, Lincoln
Date: 04/03/11
Audience: Rammed, mostly nice
Set: Rejoice, Under My Skin, Devil's Daughter, You Do Moody So Well, The Boy I Knew Before I Met You, Insane Ex-Girlfriend Parade, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like (no drums), The Wizard, Little Love In A Cruel World, Wednesdays And Weekends, Stop The Ride, Rumplestiltskin
Notes: I'm exhausted - it's only 1.15am and I've not long got back, made it in good time considering it's a bit of drive, but this will probably only be a short post because I'm up early tomorrow for studio sessions with Laura Tapp. This was a decent gig that probably deserves a longer ramble, arriving at the venue (with my friends Aidy, Dave and Jack, who kindly came along for the night out) we had a little while to catch our breath before soundcheck and launching straight into the gig. The venue was absolutely rammed - almost uncomfortably so, it was difficult to move, and the band performance area was tiny so it was a real squeeze, especially with the audience right in our faces. But there was such a nice vibe to the place, yeah it was a little rowdy, but it felt like they accepted us warmly and despite the odd sound problem it was a totally decent gig. It was a lively Flaming June performance tonight, we really had to dig in and go for it - we did, it was a long old set but it flew by. Standing outside the venue afterwards for much needed air, I looked in to see sweat actually dripping from the windows. A gig that perhaps took us out of our comfort zone, but we played well, pretty tight, my hands are hurting which is always a positive sign from a conga-based gig. Shame we didn't get to see Treehouse, the headliners who kindly invited us to play this gig (after they supported us in Cambridge recently), they're a lovely bunch of people and good band - but I literally couldn't get back into the venue to watch them as it was so busy. Anyway, hard work, but a good time was had by all, now sleep.

No comments: