Monday 14 March 2011

Gig report: Flaming June @ The Cornerhouse, Cambridge

Band: Flaming June
Venue: The Cornerhouse, Cambridge
Date: 14/03/11
Audience: Nice, scattered, but very appreciative
Set: Rejoice, Stop The Ride, You Do Moody So Well, Nerves Of Steel, I Know What It's Like (no drums), Insane Ex-Girlfriend Parade, The Boy I Knew Before I Met You, The Wizard, Rumplestiltskin
Notes: We (Flaming June) head into the studio at the weekend to record a new EP, and ever the professional, our producer Rob Toulson (my bandmate from Eureka Stockade and a brilliant producer/engineer of many great things) wanted to see us either in a rehearsal or live before the sessions so he knew exactly what he was letting himself in for. The gig tonight at The Cornerhouse was booked purely so he could see us, it was fairly low-key event that we didn't really advertise as such - it's difficult to get people out on a Monday night especially if you're gigging a lot (thanks though to Aidy, Jack and Steve for making the effort to pop down). With just two bands on the bill and a long old wait between soundcheck and performance, and with what looked like an audience of 3, we didn't think it was going to be a classic, but would at least serve it's purpose of Rob seeing us. On the contrary though it turned into a proper goodun - possibly even the best we've played this year, suddenly there was an audience (the headline band, their families, and my mates - it felt like enough in such a small venue) and they seemed really into it - and it was a raucous, fiery Flaming June showing tonight, it almost came out of nowhere. Should also mention the soundguy, a young chap who I've seen there a few times but I'm rubbish with names, because the sound tonight was absolutely top-notch. I didn't think this was on the cards - but I had a really good evening. My only fear is that we put so much into the actual performance we may have drained a little energy with the forthcoming recording, but there's a good few days to recover I guess.

No comments: