Saturday 22 January 2011

A quick note about humanity

My good friend Rob Sanders is an awesome person. Last night we were walking to a pub to meet up with a few mates before heading to the beer festival, we we very lost (how, after all these years, we still get lost in Cambridge I don't know...) and we stumbled across a man lying in the street. He was surrounded by broken glass, was motionless, and his bike seemed to have been dumped down next to him. I have to admit I thought it was an overspilling bin bag at first, and then when I realised it was a person my first thought was that he was going to jump up and mug us if we got too close. That makes me a coward, or somebody who watches too many crime programmes on telly. Either way, Rob insisted that we do something - so whilst keeping our distance, we called an ambulance, which turned up surprisingly quickly. It was freezing out there - the man was just about breathing by the time the paramedic worked his magic, but without question if we had just left him we would died of hypothermia. Lots of people must have seen this guy lying there - this is Chesterton Road after all - a big road in a well populated bit of Cambridge, yet nobody did a thing, just left a man there for dead. I'm annoyed with myself for being one of those people. Is this the state of this country? Insecure people, turning a blind eye to things, as long as they're okay themselves? My reactions will change in the future if I'm faced with this social dilemma again. Because it's not actually a dilemma, really, is it? Full credit to Rob there.

Anyway, should stop slobbing about the flat in just my pants, annoyed by this hangover, and actually nail the final draft of the film script before tonight's gig...

No comments: