Thursday 12 August 2010

August 12th

August 12th 2000: picture the scene, if you'd be so kind. St. Ives: a small, reasonably friendly market town just outside of Cambridgeshire. 6 young lads have hired the Corn Exchange, the biggest public building in the town centre, they've hired bouncers and a bar, they've got a set of songs they've been nurturing in a nearby village hall for a good few months. There's been drunken chats of world domination, there's been sober chats of world domination. The world is there for the taking. Alighting; a 6 piece band, are playing their first ever gig, and instead of playing a support slot or crappy pub gig like you're supposed to for a debut, they've hired a big building and are headlining the thing. It takes remarkable courage, but the band don't ever consider this - it's a special night, it's a special time, the scale of it is fully understood but the daunting nature of the evening that was to follow is lost in adrenaline. On drums, a 19-year-old Paul Richards; scruffy, wearing a stupid hat, rubbish at office jobs, completely in love with drums. That night was the first gig any of us had ever played, thinking back now technically I doubt it wasn't much to offer, but sometimes technicalities don't mean a thing when the raw passion and energy of young men going out as a team for the first time comes into it. A special night indeed, including the after show party. 10 years later, a lot has changed, especially on a personal level. My writing aspirations have become more prominent with 4 Edinburgh Fringe shows and loads of other credits, musically I've played some amazing places and recorded in some great studios, I'm on a few albums and even as I type this it's been a week where I've been given the final masters of the Under The Streetlamp album, have rehearsed with a funk band, have rehearsed with a prog-rock band, have rehearsed with 'Streetlamp, and am currently listening to the mixes of the new Ethan Ash EP which I had great pleasure drumming on - and that boy has songs that can change lives, he's that good. But August 12th 2000 - one of those days that will forever stick in my memory, I was on stage for the first time, we were on stage for the first time. I needed the support of my friends to do this, we're all still friends, good friends, and I'm proud of this. 10 years later; when I look back, I'm not sure where I thought I'd be now. Part of me arrogantly always thought I'd be retired on royalties by now. A more down to earth part of me thought I'd be married with kids by now. I'm neither of those things, but I'm happy enough. But. 10 years later - a 29-year-old Paul Richards; scruffy, doesn't wear hats anymore, rubbish at office jobs, completely in love with drums. Ah bollocks. We've all changed, a lot. We've all been through a lot. But nothing has really changed that much. It doesn't mean I'm still not proud of that day 10 years ago though.

No comments: