Sunday 9 May 2010

The fourth performance

I'm really happy tonight's performance was filmed, because it was easily, by far, by some distance, the best Cat Food has ever looked. The energy levels were pretty good this evening, and it was a pretty smooth transition - Gytha's desire to throw in an extra rehearsal certainly did the trick. The fourth performance then, and perhaps the first time we've actually got it right. Maybe it was something to do with the fact we had a packed out audience? It certainly helped, they all laughed a lot, which made us feel good, and as a result we performed better. Gahh, we're so fickle.

I was in the cellar of CB2 for 9 hours today, because before Cat Food took over we had 5 hours rehearsing my other play, 'Some Plays About Indie Rock', which we've got the only performance of tomorrow night at the Bury Fringe (with Cat Food on a joint billing). This show has long been a problem for me, simply because we kept losing actors, in fact the ever dependable Anne Marie Eeles is the only person who has stuck by myself and director Jo Smythe throughout the whole sorry process of cancelling performances and much confusion. But she joins a patched together cast tomorrow which includes Steve from Cat Food (who accepted because I drunkenly told him a week ago that it was a 'tiny part' only for him to realise that it's 12 pages of dialogue he needs to learn, nice chap though - he barely complained and just got on with it), Andy Higson (my friend who is actually a stand-up comedian, but has kindly stepped in and is learning to be an actor in time for tomorrow), Marto Randle (a close friend who has never acted before in his life but it worked today - he has the presence to pull it off, and confidence) and the excellent Alexandra Hussain - who was in 'An Ambulance Stuck In Traffic' a couple weeks back in London, she's a trained professional and her performances today were outstanding, it just takes the whole show up to a different level, and she even seemed to enjoy it. It's touch and go whether tomorrow's show will work or not, but to be honest - I actually love all this, I don't know why, but I'm still really excited by the process we go through and when it comes to life it's a beautiful thing. Bury St. Edmunds Fringe: I admit I've never heard of you until earlier this year, but we're bloody well up for this.

No comments: