Sunday 7 February 2010

Brighton stuff

Just registered the Brighton show, another £175 spent on a creative project which I may never see again but don't want to turn this blog into a rant about money because I CHOOSE to do these projects...only registered the one show in the end, 'Cat Food', although yesterday's readings of new material was pretty successful. In fact, everything apart from 'Reviewing Jonathan' seems to work - 3 out of 4 plays certainly isn't a bad ratio, I reckon I'm getting better at this. But I just felt the whole concept of 'Some Plays' - which is 3 short plays on one billing, wouldn't work in Brighton - they do work as individual pieces and I'll put them on somewhere at some point, but 'Cat Food' was really, really strong just from the readings yesterday - there's a couple lines that need tweaking but it feels structurally sound and I'm gonna focus on making this as good as it can be rather than stressing out with 2 shows. The play itself runs for 2 nights in May, and it's on twice a day, so 4 performances, which makes it worthwhile, plus a few other places beforehand I imagine. Going to have a long old think about casting though, it's all getting a bit routine and I get the feeling some of my regular team aren't taking it as seriously as they did before, and I've got to look after myself sometimes and do what's best for the production, even if that's not easy.

Had an interesting evening last night, went out with friends, enjoyed their company greatly, and it now looks like we're not touring Europe in June...because we're touring China instead. I love the way life throws these little surprises at you, sometimes.

No comments: