Wednesday 9 October 2013

Technically Single recording/Lounge Plays in Bristol/Ely

Last Thursday we started recording, 'Technically Single' - a little radio/podcast sitcom I've had stashed away for a while now. I originally wrote the pilot last year, which worked a treat, so then spent a fair bit of January working on another three episodes. A majority of this team - Izzy Rees, Abi Sage, Alan Hay and our techie Paul Malpas had been on-board from the start, but the problem with working with such quality actors is, as I've discovered, their availability. Alan and Abi in particular seemingly spend most of their lives on stage, whilst Izzy had lots of Paul Richards shows (poor girl) and a production of Calendar Girls filling up her schedule. Finally, though - mostly thanks to Paul M's determination to make this happen - we've managed to block out five Thursday evenings in a row to bring this project to life. The final piece of the production jigsaw was actor Robin Owen, who I'd met for the first time at the recording - he arrived highly recommended by Izzy; turns out he's just been in a show with Alan and he lives three minutes down the road from me. Robin's performance as Tom fits perfectly, with his confident yet awkward portrayal the perfect foil for Alan's wonderfully annoying turn as Ian. Izzy and Abi are top-notch, bringing their characters to life with ease and without stereotyping. The first session - recorded in Paul's little studio space, flowed suspiciously well. I'm really confident about this, and it's so incredibly nice not to be a performer in this one either - sometimes you just have to hand over your work to the pro's. If the next few weeks work as well this show will be launched in time for Christmas. I'm hoping there's enough buzz about this, enough demand, to warrant a second series as I love writing for these characters, and of course these actors.

On the other end of the professionalism scale, I've been performing a few more, 'Lounge Plays.' With, 'Technically Single' being tight and polished, my solo shows - recorded in a lounge on my iPhone, are messy, rambling affairs, but I'd like to think somehow they work just as well. The freedom of it, the slightly unpredictable nature of my performance, the intimacy...it's a scary thrill. On Saturday I was in Bristol performing Lounge Play number 2 - 'How I Lost My Trousers.' Hosted by my very close friend Matt (who is a brilliant host, it should be noted), it was a very friendly little show, the material perhaps darker than the title suggested, but a nice little story. Last night I was in Little Downham, performing, 'New Adventures In Sat Nav' - a show so new I'd finished writing it yesterday morning. With a, shall we say, slightly mature audience, I cut the swearing and enjoyed entertaining the locals - I was made to feel very welcome indeed. Two more Lounge Plays to go, possibly three, with offers coming in for 2014 already. A bit like the solo show at the fringe, I'm learning a lot about myself during these shows, gradually finding my own voice. It's a ranty voice, that sounds like I have a cold, but it's mine.

No comments: