Monday 6 August 2012

Final Cambridge preview of the fringe shows

Feels strange writing this one up a fair while after the actual performance (well, nearly two weeks) but it's good to keep a record of these things. And I've finally got my home internet working again after a month, so I can catch up on everything. We had a nice crowd at CB2 for the second preview on our home turf, and our final preview anywhere before the fringe itself. It had technically sold out, but we lost a couple people in the run up to the performance - I think the opening ceremony of the Olympics played a major part in this, but we still had a healthy-sized audience which we're very grateful for. Oscar Pike-wise this is largely considered to be our best performance yet - I personally thought it was a bit slow on my behalf, but it turns out people like that...apparently I speak too fast,. so me on a 'slow day' is probably the acceptable speed. I don't know - I like the nervous energy, this was verging on being just a bit flat, but I'm no expert and happy to go with the majority. No major cock-ups anyway, which was a first, it's all starting to sink in now. Alongside 'Greatest Goal...' there was also a first airing for this new version of 'Love Awkwardly' - it occurred to me how long Grace is on stage for and how much she has to do, but she's doing it brilliantly. There was still lots of confusion from both the audience and within the team about how the 'Greatest Goal...' show is going to work - do the plays link, is it the same character etc? Happy to report that after a couple stressful days these issues have now been resolved. Tonight, in fact. Won't go into details, but let's just say we spent quite a lot of the evening with Grace recording in an Australian budgie voice, you lucky Edinburgh Fringe people are in for a bit of a treat.

It feels like we've had a couple breaks in the run up to the show - after the previews I went on tour (and Izzy went on holiday), now Grace is away for a bit, but we're in good shape - better shape than ever, and tonight's session with the Greatest Goal side of things was an absolute joy. We're travelling up to the fringe next Saturday, there's a lot of admin to be done (flyers to be printed, insurance, PRS, press, and the cast are worried about accommodation...there's nothing to worry about, honest...), but I think this year we'll be absolutely fine. More than fine.

No comments: