Sunday 15 July 2012

London preview of the shows

After the lively buzz of Friday's hometown performance, we took our fringe shows to London today for a matinee performance at The Wilmington Arms. Really nice space, run by friendly people (and the food was lovely), and despite having to carry the set on the train/bus (the Olympic route opened today, which buggered up our plans to drive there) we felt comfortable enough. Distinct lack of audience - okay, let's cut to the chase, there was five people there. I knew three of them. But they laughed - a lot, in all the right places. Greatest Goal looked lovely today, it just felt good to watch, I enjoyed it a lot. The performance of Oscar felt like it was missing a little energy, I'm blaming it on the fact it was an afternoon performance in front of a tiny (if brilliant) audience, I just never really hit top gear. Messed up the first scene again but recovered smoothly, nobody would have noticed...not a bad performance at all, and probably better than the Bristol one, we're clearly on the right tracks with this show but I just felt today on a personal level wasn't my finest. I know how good this show can be, and it will be. Spent a couple hours after the show catching up with my mate Ade who made the trip down (which is partner Nicola) and hanging out with our brilliant production team, I'm really loving all of this. I have a week off from the show now as I'm drumming for a musical in Ipswich next week, I'm really unprepared for this one, even by my own often unprepared standards. Must get some sleep, and then nail these songs or else it could be a bit messy...

No comments: